Stacked Chicken Enchiladas – an easy chicken enchilada casserole that is great for weeknights. Much less work, same great taste, so dinner is on the table fast!
I mean you just never know when you are going to want to make Pork Enchiladas. Sometimes enchiladas can take more time than you want, with all the rolling involved. So this chicken enchilada casserole is the perfect solution.
As much as I love making enchiladas, Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili Sauce are a must around here, sometimes it is just more work than I want to put into dinner. I usually save them for the weekend, but then plans change, and they get pushed until the middle of the week.
So that is where these stacked chicken enchiladas come in. You use all the same ingredients you would normally use, you just layer it into a casserole dish. Or throw it into a pot and have 20 Minute Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup!
Everyone hears the word casserole and turns their nose up. They remember some goopy, soggy mess from when they were a kid. But this chicken enchilada casserole recipe is anything but what you remember as a kid.
So the next time you have a craving for Mexican food, you can get all the flavors of your favorite enchiladas in a quick and easy casserole.
The thing that makes this chicken enchilada casserole recipe special is the sauce. It is a homemade enchilada sauce you make in the blender in about 2 minutes. No simmering on the stove for a long time. Almost as easy as opening a can, but tastes so much better! So don’t skip that step. Pick up a rotisserie chicken, or save some leftover chicken to make it come together even quicker on a busy night.
We can’t have Mexican food without guacamole, so I served our favorite homemade guacamole with ours. Dinner was done in minutes and the family was happy, that is a win on any weeknight for me!
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 pound boneless , skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup green onions , chopped
- 1 medium-size red onion , cut into 1/2-in. slices
- 1 jalapeno
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- 9 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan and let cool slightly. Shred chicken and season with 1/4 tsp salt.
- In a bowl combine chicken, greek yogurt and 2 Tbls green onions.
- In a large skillet, over high heat cook onion and jalapeno for about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes until everything is charred.
- To a blender add charred veggies, tomatoes, remaining salt, chicken stock and cumin. Blend until smooth.
- Spray and 8 inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Place 3 tortillas (breaking in half if necessary) on the bottom of the pan in a single layer. Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture over the tortillas. Top with 1/2 of the chicken mixture and about 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat with a 2nd layer.
- Top with the last 3 tortillas, the remaining sauce and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until everything is hot. Top with the remaining green onions to serve.