Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas – this super easy chicken enchilada recipe is loaded with chicken, cheese and topped with a green chile sauce!
When I was growing up we had Mexican food every Sunday night. Sometimes it was tacos, or burritos, but often times it was chicken enchiladas. To this day, I could eat Mexican food pretty much every day and be one happy girl. Mexican Rice Skillet is one of my favorite for a quick and easy dinner on a busy night.
Chips and Salsa is pretty much my greatest weakness and something I will never give up!
People tend to think that making enchiladas is difficult, but it really isn’t. I like to set up a little assembly line and it makes it very quick and easy. Plus for the most party you can make the filling for enchiladas ahead of time. So when it is time to actually make them you just assemble and bake!
Enchiladas is a great use of any leftover meat you have. Make extra taco meat next time you have taco night, and you can make Ground Beef Enchiladas in no time. Or if you have leftover chicken shred it up and toss with some taco seasoning for a quick and easy filling.
How to Make Chicken Enchiladas!
- Use corn tortillas. They are the classic tortilla for an enchilada and just taste better in my opinion. But if you are to partial, then no one is here to judge you!
- Heat the tortillas. Corn tortillas are very fragile, but if you warm them in a dry skillet for about 10 seconds a side before using, they are pliable and do not break nearly as often.
- Homemade Enchilada sauce tastes better than the store bought stuff, but don’t be afraid to use the canned stuff. It is fast, cheap, easy, and really does taste great.
- Arrange everything in front of you, so filling and rolling is quick and easy. Lay them seam side down in a baking dish that has a thin layer of sauce in the bottom.
- Cover with foil and bake. You want to bake them for 30-45 minutes until everything is hot an bubbly.
For these enchiladas I used leftover Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken to make these green chicken enchiladas. Just a little shortcut to make it faster and easier. But you can use any type of chicken you have leftover or even pick up a rotisserie chicken and just toss it with some spices before filling.
Green chile chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite. I always use the store bought green enchilada sauce, and the chicken enchiladas come together in no time.
What to Serve with Enchiladas
More Mexican Recipes To Try
- Chicken Tostadas
- Fish Tacos
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Mexican Pizza
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 3-4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12-16 corn tortillas
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 28 oz can green chile enchilada sauce
- Heat a small dry skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tortilla and cook for about 10 seconds per side. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Meanwhile mix together all the spices and toss with the shredded chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Spoon a small amount of sauce onto a warmed tortilla. Top with about 2 Tbls of chicken, 2 tsp of chopped onion, and 2 Tbls of shredded cheese. Do not overfill. Roll and place seam side down into baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas, and top with any remaining cheese, chicken or onion.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and hot.
- Let sit for 5-10 minute to set up before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 664Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 194mgSodium 680mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 65g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!