Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas – this super easy chicken enchilada recipe is loaded with chicken, cheese and topped with a green chile sauce!
When I was growing up we had Mexican food every Sunday night. Sometimes it was tacos, or burritos, but often times it was chicken enchiladas. With some Mexican rice on the side of course.
To this day, I could eat Mexican food pretty much every day and be one happy girl. Mexican Rice Skillet is one of my favorite for a quick and easy dinner on a busy night. If we have people over for the game though. Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos are always on the menu.
People tend to think that making enchiladas is difficult, but it really isn’t. So I am going to tell you my tricks to make them easy.
How to Make Chicken Enchiladas!
- Use corn tortillas. They are the classic tortilla for an enchilada and just taste better in my opinion
- Heat the tortillas. Corn tortillas are very fragile, but if you warm them in a dry skillet for about 10 seconds a side before using, they are pliable and do not break nearly as often.
- Homemade Enchilada sauce tastes better than the store bought stuff, but don’t be afraid to use the canned stuff. It is fast, cheap, easy, and really does taste great.
- Arrange everything in front of you, so filling and rolling is quick and easy.
Last week I made Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken, and I used the leftovers to make these green chicken enchiladas. Just a little shortcut to make it faster and easier. But you can use any type of chicken you have leftover or even pick up a rotisserie chicken and just toss it with some spices before filling.
Green chile chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite. I always use the store bought green enchilada sauce, and the chicken enchilads come together in no time.
Serve with your favorite homemade guacamole on the side and you have one tasty dinner!
Here are some of my favorite kitchen items I used to make this recipe:
- Casserole Dish – I got these dishes when I got married 16 years ago. To this day I still use them all the time. They great for casseroles, side dishes, storing leftovers and just about anything else
- Instant Pot – just recently bought this one and couldn’t be happier.
- Knives: A good set of kitchen knives is essential for preparing any meal. We splurged on these Global knives about 14 years ago, and to this day they are still my favorite. These are hands down my favorite knives I have owned.
- Pots and Pans – A good set of pots and pans is a must! You want the food to cook evenly, and the pans to last for years and years! I have had these Calphalon Comtempory pans for many years, and I will love them.
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas - this super easy chicken enchilada recipe is loaded with chicken, cheese and topped with a green chile sauce!
- 3-4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12-16 corn tortillas
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 28 oz can green chile enchilada sauce
Heat a small dry skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tortilla and cook for about 10 seconds per side. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Meanwhile mix together all the spices and toss with the shredded chicken.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pour about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Spoon a small amount of sauce onto a warmed tortilla. Top with about 2 Tbls of chicken, 2 tsp of chopped onion, and 2 Tbls of shredded cheese. Do not overfill. Roll and place seam side down into baking dish.
Repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas, and top with any remaining cheese, chicken or onion.
Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and hot.
Let sit for 5-10 minute to set up before serving.