Mexican Rice – A Mexican style rice, that happens to be good for you. It is full of scallions and chunks of avocado. So good and a staple anytime we have Mexican food!
Mexican food is a staple in our house. It can be something like Southwest Baked Chicken where you just need an easy side dish, or even just taco night. We love anything with those Mexican spices.
One of my favorite things about going out for Mexican food is having the rice! Well that and margaritas, but that is a different story. I have made many rices over the years that are similar to restaurant style, but this is the one we come back to every time.
This homemade Mexican rice has been a staple in our house for at least 15 years. I found the recipe somewhere when I was first married and we still make it today. I do know it is the only rice that my mother in law will make now. It is just that good!
The chunks of buttery avocado and green onions make it extra special. If you leave those out, you have a pretty normal Mexican rice. But don’t leave them out, trust me they make it over the top amazing.
How to Make Mexican Rice
- Just like any rice you boil a liquid and then let the rice cook and absorb everything!
- Use chicken broth to make it have so much more flavor
- Season with cumin and a tiny bit of butter when cooking to give the rice so much flavor
- Pick your favorite salsa. Hot, medium, or mild – they are all good
- Stir in chopped avocado and green onions when you are ready to serve. So buttery, creamy, and delicious
This Mexican rice is full of avocados, which might seem a little strange for rice, but trust me on this one. I have served this rice to countless people, and everyone raves about it. Avocados are good for you, they are a healthy fat. So they are a great way to bulk up rice and make it better for you!
The next time you are making Enchilada Casserole or just about any kind of Mexican food, this rice needs to be on the menu! It just rounds out he meal and everyone will love it. Plus it is just so darn easy to make!
More Side Dish Recipes to Try
What Dinner Recipes to Serve Mexican Rice With
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Fiesta Lime Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Pork Tacos
- Creamy Salsa Chicken
- 2 1/4 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 Tbls butter
- 1 Tbls ground cumin
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 3 scallions , chopped
- 1 avocado , chopped
- Add water, bouillon cubes, butter, and cumin to a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in salsa. Remove from heat. Fold in the scallions and avocado. Serve.
Amount Per ServingCalories 137Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 6mgSodium 341mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 2g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!