Loaded Baked Potato Recipes – perfect baked potatoes that are topped with cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives! A great side dish or even dinner idea!
When you go out for a steak dinner, what do you get for your side dish? A baked potatoes are a pretty classic choice. And then you are always asked do you want butter, sour cream, and chives? But for some reason I never think to make them at home.
When we have perfectly grilled ribeye at home, I will make a salad or bread to serve with it. Never baked potatoes. Really not sure why. Well, things are changing and they will be happening more often!
The first step is knowing how long to bake a potato. That is subject to change depending on how big your potatoes are. And lately, when you go to the grocery store, the potatoes are huge! Those will take 60-75 minutes in a 375 degree oven. If you can find smaller ones, they will take 45-60 minutes.
Loaded Twice Baked Potato Casserole takes a little short cut and boils the potatoes first. But you can use this method of baking potatoes for that casserole as well. It is always a hit when I make it!
How to cook a baked potato –
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. You do not want too hot or the skin will get extra crispy before the inside cooks.
- Use a fork to poke holes all over the potato. There is a lot of moisture in a potato, you want the steam to escape as you are cooking or it will be soggy. Or even worse it could explode and make a huge mess in your oven.
- Brush the outside with oil. This helps the skin be extra tasty. There are lots of nutrients in the skin, so you want to eat it!
- Season the outside with salt and pepper. Again, you want the skin to taste good, so you can get all the benefits that potatoes have to offer.
I don’t have a lot of potato recipes on the blog, but Baked Potato Casserole is another favorite of ours. So if you are looking for new ways to serve potatoes, check it out. This loaded baked potato should also become a staple in your house, it is definitely delicious!
I like to cut open the baked potatoes and then top with cheese immediately. You can even then pop them back in the oven for a couple minutes to help melt the cheese. But usually the heat of the potato does a great job of melting the cheese, depends on how much you add!
Loaded baked potatoes can make such a great dinner. Top with cheese and bacon for protein. Then you have sour cream and chives as well. Easy, delicious, and the whole family will love them.
Loaded Baked Potato Recipes - perfect baked potatoes that are topped with cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives! A great side dish or even dinner idea!
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- cup chives or green onions finely chopped
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Using a fork prick holes around the entire potato.
Rub each potato with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking tray and bake for 60-75 minutes. Baking time will depend on how big the potatoes are.
Slice the top of the baked potatoes open. Sprinkle each potato with 1/4 cup of cheese. Place back in the oven if you would like to completely melt the cheese.
Sprinkle each potato even with the crumbled bacon, spoon on a dallop of sour cream, and sprinkle with chives.
Nutrition information is an estimate depending on the ingredients and amounts you use.