Best Potato Salad Recipe – an easy and over the top potato salad that is perfect for summer cookouts, pot lucks, or just a weeknight side dish!
Summer is here and that means all sorts of potlucks, backyard barbecues, grilling out, and just fun foods. I am always looking for Grilling Ideas for Dinner, because I love spending time outside and don’t want to be stuck in my house cooking all summer long.
When we are grilling out, I have a few go to side dishes. Taco Pasta Salad is one of my favorites. I pretty much like any pasta salad, but that is a favorite. And Cranberry Apple Coleslaw is another summer staple. Do you have favorites? This potato salad recipe is another staple I bring to pretty much any get together we go to.
Potato salad with bacon is pretty much the best thing ever. I mean, you add bacon to just about anything and it is usually a success. It is super creamy, cheesy, and disappears in no time. You will definitely be the hit at your next get together.
How long to boil potatoes for potato salad is always a big question. You want to cube your potatoes into about 1 inch or bite sized pieces. Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. The cold water ensures they all cook evenly. I like to bring to a boil with the lid off, and then boil for about 10-15 minutes. It really depends on the variety of potato you use as well as the size for how long to cook them. As soon as you can easily stick a fork in the potatoes, they are done! And you are ready to make this over the top delicious potato salad recipe.
Best Potatoes for Potato Salad
- Yukon golds, white potatoes, or red potatoes are the best. They aren’t super starchy and will hold up well when mixed with the dressing and not turn to mush.
- Stay away from russets – they are very starchy and will break down and your potato salad will be mushy.
- Waxy potatoes are best – so even fingerling potatoes are good. Anything with a more waxy skin will hold its shape and be delicious!
How to Make Potato Salad
- Pick the potatoes you want to use. Remember to stay away from starchy potatoes and go for a waxy potato
- Boil potatoes until they are fork tender. Start with cold water and how long to boil potatoes for potato salad really depends on the size of your cubes. But usually around 10-15 minutes and they are done.
- Drain the potatoes and let them sit while all of the steam escapes. This will dry them out a little bit and let the dressing stick to them.
- Let the potatoes cool completely before mixing with the dressing.
- Mix the dressing together in a large bowl, and add the cooled potatoes and all your mix-ins to the bowl. Gently mix together until everything is coated.
- I like to let my potato salad sit for a little bit in the fridge to let all the flavors come together and make sure everything is nice and cold.
So the next time you are grilling out or heading to a get together, you have to try the best potato salad! Trust me your family and friends are going to love it, and you will go home with an empty bowl! Another salad I can’t wait to try this summer is this Creamy Pecan Crunch Grape Salad. Pretty sure it will disappear just as quickly as this potato salad.
Plus with this potato salad recipe you can make it the day before and just serve when needed. And the leftovers are great too, if you happen to have any.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Best Potato Salad Recipe
Best Potato Salad Recipe - an easy and over the top potato salad that is perfect for summer cookouts, pot lucks, or just a weeknight side dish!
- 3 pounds white potatoes, (or any waxy potato)
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cups green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cut potatoes into about 1 inch pieces, or about bite sized pieces. Put in a large pot and cover with about 1 inch of cold water. Add 1 tsp of salt to the water. Bring to a boil, and cook for 10-15 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and let set until cool
- In a large bowl mix together sour cream, mayo, garlic powder, onion powder, remaining 1 tsp salt, and black pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Once potatoes are cooled add to the dressing mixtures. Add cooked bacon, cheese, and green onions. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Let sit in the fridge until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 575Saturated Fat 17gCholesterol 80mgSodium 1186mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 4gSugar 1gProtein 16g
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
- Chicken Taco Soup - March 17, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
Kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox says
Definitely a must have for every summer cookout.
Jacque Hastert says
Anything with bacon makes everything SO much better!
Delaney | Melanie Makes says
This is a great side dish!
Jennifer Farley says
The perfect time of year for potato salad 🙂
I Heart Naptime says
Looks so creamy and delicious! Perfect for Summer BBQ’s!
Perfect for the summer so tasty it’s a must have !!
I love salads like this during the summer!
Samantha @ Cookware Junkies says
Looks so yummy and tasty! Definitely a perfect idea for summer.
Jennifer Blake says
So I am definitely a bit of a potato salad snob (my grandma’s is my favorite) BUT I love this combo!!! Bacon and cheese? What could be bad?
I love trying new recipes for potato salad! This sounds so good, I need to make it soon!
I love a good potato salad! I have to try this!
Antonio Cracco says
Hey Erin! A huge lover of your recipe of potato salad is here. I like the way you made this yummy recipe. You have also used really nice pictures for the recipe. I appriciate your photos selection. Keep sharing delicious recipes like this. Thanks