Grilled Chicken Legs – make a splash at your next barbecue with this easy grilled chicken leg recipe. An easy spice mixture flavors the chicken and then it is brushed with a delicious Asian barbecue sauce.
When summer hits I am all about dinner outside and using the grill as much as possible! And one of the best things to do is grilled chicken legs. Not only are they easy, but also very budget friendly.
Chicken drumsticks are often on sale, so you can stock up and have them in your freezer to pull out for a tasty dinner.
Grilled Chicken Legs
To make these grilled chicken legs I am using an Asian style barbecue sauce that is a little sticky and absolutely delicious! You can make it ahead of time and have it in the fridge waiting, or you can whip it up while the chicken cooks.
You can take this same concept and instructions and really make whatever flavor you like! Season the chicken with the Best Dry Rub, grill them and slather on your favorite barbecue sauce for a different version!
What You’ll Need
Asian Barbecue Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Lime Juice
- Orange Juice
- Crushed Red Pepper
The spice rub that goes on the chicken is really just a basic spice rub. If you have one you like (that isn’t super heavy on the smoky side – like this Best Dry Rub) it would work great too.
How To Grill Chicken Legs
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Start by patting the chicken dry with a paper towel. This makes sure that the spices stick well to the chicken.
- Mix together the spice rub and season the chicken well. Let the chicken rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes before placing on the grill.
- While the chicken rests, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. I like to go for about 375º F on the grill.
- Place the chicken legs on the grill and then close the lid to let them cook. Flip them every 7-8 minutes, so they get evenly cooked all around.
- While the chicken is cooking you can make your sauce by bringing everything to a simmer for about 20 minutes until it is nice and thick.
- After about 30-35 minutes once the chicken is 165º F, lower the heat to medium low, and brush generously with sauce.
- Grill for 5-10 more minutes for the sauce to caramelize and coats the chicken.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
I am using an Asian sauce for this recipe, but you can substitute your favorite barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce or just about anything to get the flavor you want.
How Long To Grill Chicken Legs
They need about 30-35 minutes over medium high heat to cook completely. Then you lower the heat and brush with sauce, and cook for an additional 10 minutes. This gets the chicken to about 170º F, where it is fully cooked, and no longer pink, even at the bone.
What To Serve With Chicken Legs
This dish is great with just about anything. You could serve with White Rice and some of the extra sauce, or some classic summer sides are great as well.
More Summer Grilling Recipes
- Grilled Pork Chops
- Grilled Baked Potatoes
- Smoked Baby Back Ribs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Margarita Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Turkey Tenderloin
- Chicken Souvlaki
- 4 pound chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon celery salt
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Asian Barbecue Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 Tablespoons sriracha
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sesame Seeds
- Pat dry the chicken drumsticks with a paper towel to make sure the spices stick well.
- Mix together all of the spices for the spice rub and add to a large plastic bag or bowl to toss with the chicken until everything is evenly coated. Let stand for 15 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat (about 375º F).
- Arrange chicken on the grill and cook for 30-35 minutes, flipping every 7-8 minutes until the chicken reaches 165º F.
- While the chicken is cooking prepare the sauce by sautéing the ginger and the garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes until it is soft and fragrant.
- Mix in all of the remaining ingredients (except the red pepper flakes) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until it starts to thicken. Once it is cooked, stir in the red pepper flakes to taste.
- After chicken is cooked, reduce the heat to medium low and generously brush with sauce. Let cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- Remove from the grill and garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro if desired.
If you have a favorite rub, you can use in place of this spice mixture. You want something not very smoky in flavor
Amount Per Serving Calories 550Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 288mgSodium 2631mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 2gSugar 19gProtein 57g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!