Grilled Chicken Legs – make a splash at your next barbecue with this easy grilled chicken leg recipe. An easy spice mixture flavors the chicken and then it is brushed with a delicious Asian barbecue sauce.
This post is sponsored by Ibotta. All thoughts an opinions are 100% my own.
When summer hits I am all about dinner outside and using the grill as much as possible! And one of the best things to do is grilled chicken legs. Not only are they easy, but also very budget friendly.
Chicken drumsticks are often on sale, so you can stock up and have them in your freezer to pull out for a tasty dinner.
I am excited to be working with Ibotta this year to make sure you know how to use the money saving app and take full advantage of everything it has to offer! You can download the app on your phone, or they have a browser extension you can use on your computer.
This month, I even earned a bonus rebate for installing the browser extension in addition to using the app on my phone. Doesn’t matter what way you use it, it is by far the EASIEST way I have found to actually get cash back at the places I regularly shop on the products I normally purchase.
To make these grilled chicken legs I am using an Asian style barbecue sauce that is a little sticky and absolutely delicious! You can make it ahead of time and have it in the fridge waiting, or you can whip it up while the chicken cooks.
What You’ll Need
This is what is in the Asian barbecue sauce
- Olive Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Lime Juice
- Orange Juice
- Crushed Red Pepper
The spice rub that goes on the chicken is really just a basic spice rub. If you have one you like (that isn’t super heavy on the smoky side – like this Best Dry Rub) it would work great too.
How To Grill Chicken Legs
- Start by patting the chicken dry with a paper towel. This makes sure that the spices stick well to the chicken.
- Mix together the spice rub and season the chicken well. Let the chicken rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes before placing on the grill.
- While the chicken rests, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. I like to go for about 375º F on the grill.
- Place the chicken legs on the grill and then close the lid to let them cook. Flip them every 7-8 minutes, so they get evenly cooked all around.
- While the chicken is cooking you can make your sauce by bringing everything to a simmer for about 20 minutes until it is nice and thick.
- After about 30-35 minutes once the chicken is 165º F, lower the heat to medium low, and brush generously with sauce.
- Grill for 5-10 more minutes for the sauce to caramelize and coats the chicken.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
I am using an Asian sauce for this recipe, but you can substitute your favorite barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce or just about anything to get the flavor you want.
How Long To Grill Chicken Legs
They need about 30-35 minutes over medium high heat to cook completely. Then you lower the heat and brush with sauce, and cook for an additional 10 minutes. This gets the chicken to about 170º F, where it is fully cooked, and no longer pink, even at the bone.
What To Serve With Chicken Legs
If you haven’t signed up for the Ibotta App or use their browser extension yet, now is the time! You can start earning cash back on your groceries today! It is so simple to go through the app, select the things you are going to buy and then scan your receipt.
If you have a loyalty account with a store, the two apps can talk to each other and make it even easier – no scanning your receipt, it is all just automatic.
More Summer Grilling Recipes
- Grilled Pork Chops
- Grilled Baked Potatoes
- Smoked Baby Back Ribs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Margarita Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Turkey Tenderloin
- Chicken Souvlaki
- 4 pound chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp celery salt
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Asian Barbecue Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp sriracha
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Sesame Seeds
- Pat dry the chicken drumsticks with a paper towel to make sure the spices stick well.
- Mix together all of the spices for the spice rub and add to a large plastic bag or bowl to toss with the chicken until everything is evenly coated. Let stand for 15 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat (about 375º F).
- Arrange chicken on the grill and cook for 30-35 minutes, flipping every 7-8 minutes until the chicken reaches 165º F.
- While the chicken is cooking prepare the sauce by sautéing the ginger and the garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes until it is soft and fragrant.
- Mix in all of the remaining ingredients (except the red pepper flakes) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until it starts to thicken. Once it is cooked, stir in the red pepper flakes to taste.
- After chicken is cooked, reduce the heat to medium low and generously brush with sauce. Let cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- Remove from the grill and garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro if desired.
If you have a favorite rub, you can use in place of this spice mixture. You want something not very smoky in flavor
Amount Per Serving Calories 530Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 288mgSodium 3982mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 2gSugar 19gProtein 56g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!