Margarita Grilled Chicken – a super easy copycat recipe from Chili’s restaurant. Flavorful chicken grilled and topped with a fresh pico de gallo for an easy and delicious dinner.
The Margarita Chicken at Chili’s is one of my favorite things to order there. Pair that with their chips and Chili’s Salsa and I am a happy girl! Everything is so light and fresh and it doesn’t totally weigh you down like many restaurant dishes. And now you can make it at home in just a few minutes!
If you are a fan of the Copycat Fiesta Lime Chicken you are going to love this! This has similar flavors and both are topped with a fresh pico de gallo. Pico is pretty much like a fresh chunky salsa. It is a mix of chopped tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, cilantro and lime juice. Super fresh and great with the chicken. But if you want to take a shortcut, your favorite salsa is a very tasty alternative.
Copycat recipes are great to make at home because you can make small changes to make them exactly what you enjoy! If you likes this spicy, you can add more jalapeno to your dish. Plus you know what is going into it, and aren’t surprised by hidden calories or fat that are in restaurant dishes.
I love how easy this margarita chicken recipe is. The marinade is really just a margarita mix! After it sits in the marinade you season with a couple of spices, but that is it. Can not be simpler to make. The Chili’s menu even says “only tastes like a guilty pleasure”. So it is a simple and light chicken dinner you can make in minutes at home!
How to Make Margarita Grilled Chicken
- Combine margarita mix with chicken and let it marinate for about 30 minutes – 2 hours. You don’t want to go overnight or the lime juice will start to break down the chicken.
- While the chicken is in the fridge make the pico by chopping the tomatoes and finely dicing the jalapeno and onion. Mix everything together and just store in the fridge until it is time to serve.
- Once the chicken is ready to go on the grill, remove and discard the marinade. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Grill chicken over medium high heat for about 8-9 minutes per side, until it is full cooked. The best way to tell when it is done is to use a meat thermometer.
- Remove from the grill and serve topped with your fresh pico de gallo.
How Long Do You Grill Chicken
Chicken usually cakes about 18-20 minutes to cook on the grill. This will depend on how thick your chicken is. If you pound your chicken thin or are using chicken cutlets it will cook much quicker. The best way to tell when chicken is done is by using a meat thermometer. You want to insert the probe into the thickest part of the meat and have it reach 165 degrees F. This is when chicken is safe to eat.
Chili’s serves their margarita chicken with a side of rice and beans. Which is exactly what you can do at home!
Copycat recipes are a great way to get dinner on the table at home for a reasonable price that you know you are going to love. You save money, more than likely calories and time making some of your favorites at home. Plus you get to have them more often which is always a win!
More Copycat Recipes
- Mexican Pizza (Taco Bell)
- Pasta Milano (Macaroni Grill)
- Soft Breadsticks (Olive Garden)
- Chicken Madeira (Cheesecake Factory)
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits (Red Lobster)
- Canes Sauce (Raising Canes)
- Pesto Cavatappi (Noodles & Co.)
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork (Cafe Rio)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup margarita mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbls onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbls lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbls chopped cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- In a plastic food storage bag combine chicken and margarita mix. Let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
- Meawhile, prepare the pico de gallo by tossing all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Store in fridge until ready to use.
- Once the chicken is ready for the grill preheat to medium high heat.
- Remove chicken from the bag and discard the marinade. Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place chicken on the grill and cook for 8-9 minutes per side until fully cooked. The internal temperature of the meat will be 165 degrees F when it is full cooked.
- Remove from the grill and serve with pico de gallo
Amount Per ServingCalories 450Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 102mgSodium 821mgCarbohydrates 64gFiber 1gSugar 59gProtein 38g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!