Chicken Madeira Recipe – This copycat is even better than the restaurant version! Tender chicken, mushrooms, and asparagus in a Madeira wine sauce and topped with melted cheese! Up your chicken dinner recipe game tonight!
I love making copycat recipes at home. It can be a fast food favorite like Mexican Pizzas from Taco Bell or it can be a decadent pasta dish like Pasta Milano from Macaroni Grill. It obviously saves money to make restaurant favorites at home, but you also get to enjoy them more often. You control the salt and fat so they are usually better for you as well.
What is Chicken Madeira
It is a sauteed chicken breast that is topped with fresh asparagus and melted cheese. It is all covered in a mushroom Madeira wine sauce. At Cheesecake Factory these serve with with mashed potatoes which is great to make sure you don’t miss any of the delicious sauce.
What’s In Chicken Madeira
- Chicken Breasts – You want them to be similar sized and the thinner they are the quicker they will cook.
- Madeira Wine
- Beef Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
What Can I use Instead of Madeira Wine
You should be able to find madeira wine at most liquor stores. I had to ask where it was, but they immediately pointed me in the right direction. My store only has one choice, but they do carry it. It should be about $8 for a basic bottle. It is really only used for cooking, so it isn’t a wine that you will drink afterwards. If you have trouble finding it you could use Marsala wine, dry vermouth, port wine, or dry sherry. All will give you a slightly different flavor, but they will work and still taste great in the recipe.
How to Make Chicken Madeira
- Cook the chicken. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Saute in a large skillet with melted butter. You want to brown the chicken and make sure that is cooked through. Then you remove it from the pan and keep it warm.
- Cook the mushrooms. Add more butter to the pan and then saute the mushrooms. Season them with salt and pepper. Once they are browned and cooked remove them from the pan. Put them on the same plate with the chicken and keep warm.
- Make the sauce. Bring beef broth and Madeira to a boil and cook for about 10-12 minutes. You want it to boil and cook down to about half. It should thicken and start to turn into a sauce.
- Cook the asparagus. Put asparagus in a pot of boiling water. Cook for 4-5 minutes and then drain and set aside until you are ready to use.
- Put everything together. After the sauce has thickened everything back into the pan. Arrange the chicken in the pan, top with mushrooms, and spread the asparagus around the chicken.
- Melt the cheese. Top everything with cheese and cover until the cheese is melted.
What to Serve with Chicken Madeira
It does have asparagus in with the dish, so you don’t necessarily need much. But here are a few great ideas.
If you have ever tried this dish at Cheesecake Factory you know how rich and delicious it is. The Madeira wine gives the sauce such a unique flavor. It is definitely worth a trip to the liquor store to find a bottle and make at home!
More Chicken Recipes to Try
- General Tso Chicken
- Garlic Tomato Baked Chicken
- Sous Vide Chicken Breast
- Fiesta Lime Chicken
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Margarita Grilled Chicken
- Crispy Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Madeira Recipe
Chicken Madeira Recipe - This copycat is even better than the restaurant version! Tender chicken, mushrooms, and asparagus in a Madeira wine sauce and topped with melted cheese! Up your chicken dinner recipe game tonight!
- 4 thinly cut chicken breasts
- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- 8 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 Tbsp butter to melt. Place chicken in the pan and cook 4-5 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is browned and just cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Add remaining butter to the pan to melt. Add mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender and browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Remove mushrooms from the pan and keep warm.
- Pour in wine and beef broth to the pan. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 10-12 minutes until it is reduced by at least half and is starting to thicken up. Add cream and cook for a couple minutes until sauce is thick and creamy.
- Meanwhile bring a pot of water to boil and cook asparagus for 4 minutes.
- Add chicken, mushrooms and asparagus to the sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 507Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 166mgSodium 1289mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 48g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
- Beef Stroganoff - March 24, 2023
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
I cant wait to make this for my family!!
Carrie Robinson says
Chicken? Mushrooms? Wine? How can you possibly go wrong with this one? Looks delicious! 🙂
Such a delicious classic and I love how quick and simple this version is!
Katerina @ diethood .com says
This looks incredibly delicious! My family would really enjoy it!
Tiffany La Forge-Grau says
This is a wonderful Valentine’s day dinner idea. I love cooking specialty meals for my husband.
Sara Welch says
Definitely adding this to my dinner line up for the week; looks too good to pass up!
Allyson Zea says
I always order this at cheesecake factory, so now I’m excited I can make it at home!