Carrot Ginger Soup – Smooth and creamy carrot soup with ginger, turmeric, garlic, and chicken broth. Healthy, comforting, and and the perfect way to brighten up a cold day!
As soon as the weather gets cold I am all about soup. I am pretty sure that Creamy Wild Rice Soup might be my all time favorite soup, but I always want to try new recipes. A friend of mine has been raving about her carrot soup for a couple years, so I finally had to give it a try. The ginger, garlic, and turmeric together give this soup so much flavor and are perfect for a cold night or any day for a light lunch.
I struggle to get my family to eat vegetables. They all will eat salads, but that is really just their excuse to eat the dressing and crunchy toppings. I enjoy a lot of different vegetables, but bell peppers and beans are not my favorite. Those are the ones that my guys actually like. So the struggle is real for all of us.
One vegetable I have never been a fan of though is cooked carrots. I will eat raw carrots all day long, but cooked carrots have never been something I will eat. But there is something about adding garlic, ginger, and turmeric with the pureed carrots in this soup that makes it extra delicious! I think the reason I don’t like cooked carrots is the texture, and here it is just so creamy there is no texture issue.
How to Make Carrot Soup
- Start by sauteing onions and sliced carrots together until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Next you mix in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt and pepper. Everything cooks together for a couple minutes until you can start to smell the garlic and ginger.
- Pour in the chicken broth and boil until the carrots are soft. If you want to make this soup vegan or vegetarian you can use vegetable broth.
- You can use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth or do in batches in a blender. It will be completely creamy and smooth and ready to serve. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper if necessary.
- I like to garnish with pumpkin seeds and chopped cilantro for the crunchy texture and the bright fresh flavor.
How Long to Boil Carrots for Soup
This really depends on the size you cut your carrots. If you are in a hurry you can use shredded carrots and it will take about 5 minutes until they are soft and ready to puree. For diced carrots that are about 1/4 inch thick, it takes about 10-12 minutes for them to be soft. Use a fork to test when they are soft enough.
What to Serve with Carrot Ginger Soup
- Honey Sesame Chicken Salad Wrap
- Chicken Club Wrap
- Crispy Baked Shrimp
- Classic Egg Salad
- Spinach Chicken Salad
I love that this carrot soup is so creamy and healthy without any cream or butter. It is slightly sweet, comforting and full of so much flavor. So if you are looking for a light lunch, something to serve with dinner or just a new soup to try this is it!
Other Soup Recipes to Try
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Egg Drop Soup
- Indian Lentil Soup
- Wonton Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, mined
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp pumpkin seeds, optional garnish
- In a stock pot heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth and creamy. Alternatively you can pour soup into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Serve immediately topped with pumpkin seeds if desired.
You can substitute vegetable broth to make this soup vegan and vegetarian friendly
Amount Per ServingCalories 177Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 5mgSodium 1283mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 5gSugar 6gProtein 4g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!