Cabbage Roll Soup – a simple soup that has all the taste of traditional stuffed cabbage rolls that is ready in minutes. It is hearty, filling, healthy and delicious!
Stuffed cabbage rolls are a classic and traditional recipe all over the United States. But they can kind of be a pain to roll sometimes. You have to completely cook all the ground beef and rice, boil the cabbage, then roll everything together. Then they bake for quite a long time, it really is a process. This is an unstuffed cabbage roll soup that is ready in a small fraction of the time!
Ground beef, rice, and cabbage simmer in tomato and beef broth for a super comforting and hearty bowl of soup.
I am such a sucker for recipes that are from mom and grandma. My mom’s Goulash recipe is a staple in our house and I know that you guys love it as well. Cabbage Rolls were something that Polish grandma’s were known for making. But today they are just kind of time consuming, so I love getting to turn them into something new that still has the same flavors.
How to Make Cabbage Roll Soup
This cabbage roll soup recipe is so simple to make, you really just dump everything and let it go!
- Beef – Brown ground beef and the onion together until the beef is cooked and the onions are translucent. I like to add in the garlic during the last little bit so it can cook for about a minute and doesn’t burn.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients and bring it to a low boil. You let it simmer for about 25 minutes until the rice is cooked. You don’t need to cover it, just let it simmer and the rice will plump up and get soft.
- Serve – Once the rice is cooked it is time to serve. You can garnish with parsley to serve if you want, or just serve as is.
Can You Freeze Cabbage Soup
Yep, you absolutely can freeze this soup. The rice does absorb some of the liquid and can get a tiny bit mushy, but it isn’t much of a problem. If the soup is too thick add a little beef broth when reheating to thin it out.
What to Serve with Cabbage Soup?
If you grew up on cabbage rolls, but haven’t wanted to take the time to actually make them, this soup is for you. It has all the flavors of the classic, but in a comforting soup form. I love that this soup is ready in just minutes. Plenty of soups simmer for a long time to get the flavors to really come together. Not only is there enough going on that isn’t necessary here, but if you did the rice would become a mushy mess. That tomato and beef broth make this rich and delicious without hours on the stove.
More Quick Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- Wonton Soup
- Taco Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 24 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- In a stock pot heat oil over medium high heat. Add ground beef and onions. Break up ground beef and cook for 5-6 minutes until beef is cooked and onions are translucent.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Bring to a low boil and cook for 20-25 minutes until the rice is cooked. Serve immediately.
Amount Per ServingCalories 420Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 81mgSodium 1978mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 5gSugar 16gProtein 33g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!