Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup – A quick and easy soup that is perfect for a cold night. Warm up with this cozy soup filled with vegetables, chicken and tortellini all in a delicious creamy broth.
I absolutely love soup on a cold night. But sometimes soup can take forever to make, and I just don’t have time on busy weeknights to let soup simmer for an hour before dinner is done. So this chicken tortellini soup is perfect, because it is ready in about 30 minutes. Super comforting and ready fast? That is my definition of perfection! I like to save something like Beef Barley Soup for a weekend when I have more time.
To make this soup quick and easy I rely on a little help from the store with fresh made tortellini (you can use the frozen stuff as well) and a good quality chicken broth. Both things help give the soup great flavor without any extra time or effort on my part. You can even use a rotisserie chicken to make it even easier on yourself! Just pull apart the meat and add to the soup to heat it through and you are done. So simple!
What Kind of Chicken Do You Use
There are a couple options for cooking the chicken in this soup. You can use raw chicken breasts that you poach in the chicken broth as the soup cooks. Then you just remove the chicken, shred it into bite sized pieces and add back to the soup at the end. You can also use leftover chicken that you just add during the last few minutes of cooking to heat it through. Rotisserie chicken is also a great option. You can shred about 2 cups of chicken that you add to the soup without any real work for you.
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Saute together onion, celery, carrots and garlic until they are soft and tender
- Next pour in the chicken broth and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- If you are using raw chicken, this is when you would add it. Let is simmer until it is cooked and then remove to shred it.
- After the broth is simmering add in the tortellini and let them cook until they are tender (usually about 5-6 minutes depending on the package that you buy).
- At the last minute stir in the creamy and parsley. Adjust the seasonings as needed and you are ready to serve. ‘
What Kind Of Tortellini To Use
I like to use the fresh cheese tortellini you find in the refrigerated section at the grocery store. But really any kind works. If you have frozen or even dried, you can use them. You just add them to the soup and simmer until they are done. So it may take less or more time than directed, but it will still work great!
Can I Make This Ahead
This tortellini soup is really hard to make ahead of time, because the tortellini absorb the broth as it sits and just become mushy. If you want to make it head of time, your best bet is to prep everything until the point of adding the tortellini and then stop. You could refrigerate or freeze the soup at this point. And then when you are ready to eat the soup bring the broth to a simmer again and add the tortellini.
Getting dinner on the table every night can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. Having a few easy recipes in your back pocket can make life easier. This Spaghetti & Meatball soup is another favorite that with just a little help from the store can be on the table in minutes.
What to Serve with Tortellini Soup
Other Great Soup Recipes to Try
- Olive Garden Minestrone
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Crock Pot Potato Soup
- Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk Celery, finely chopped
- 2 medium Carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 pound Chicken, cooked and shredded
- 9 ounces Fresh Cheese Tortellini
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/3 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook for 5-6 minutes until soft. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add cooked chicken, uncooked tortellini, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the tortellini are cooked through.
- Stir in cream and parsley to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 415Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 116mgSodium 1525mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 27g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!