Broccoli Cheese Soup – A super comforting and easy soup that you can get on the table in minutes. Great for those chilly nights!
I love when soup season rolls around. There is just something about a comforting bowl of Corn Chowder that makes the day better. We eat a lot of soup during the winter here, so I am always trying to mix it up. We all love Copycat Panera Macaroni and Cheese so why not try Panera Broccoli Cheese soup?
And what goes better with soup than bread, right? These Easy Biscuits are perfect for with this soup. Or if you can pick up a baguette from the store on the way home, that is delicious too! But soup is pretty much an excuse to eat bread in my mind.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe comes together on the stove top, and is ready in about 30 minutes. It is really easy to make any night of the week.
- It would be super easy to make in the crock pot as well. You would just put the ingredients in and let it cook on low all day. Before you serve you would make the butter and flour mixture on the stove top and just add to the soup to help thicken it. Mix in the cheese to melt it and you would be done!
- You can also leave this soup completely as is, or blend it if you want a thicker and creamier soup. I personally like to take about half of the soup and blend it. Then add it back and it helps to thicken the soup and make it extra delicious. It also makes it a little easier to eat, because you aren’t only eating chunks of broccoli.
- If you have picky kids, blending it helps disguise the broccoli and they will eat more of it! And give them some dinner rolls along side, and they will be happy kids!
What You’ll Need
- Chicken Broth
- Half and Half
- Salt & Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese
I like to use half and half in this recipe so that it is a little lighter and not so heavy. But you can use whole milk, heavy cream or whatever type of milk product that you like!
How to make Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot and sauté the onions. I like to do this over a medium heat so the onions get nice and soft without getting browned.
- Mix in your garlic and carrots. Take a shortcut from the store here and use the shredded carrots that come in the bag. So easy to just dump them in.
- The flour is then added and cooked for a few minutes. You want to make sure to let is cook for a few minutes to get rid of that raw flour taste.
- Whisk in the liquids and get all the flour clumps broken up and the broth is smooth.
- The rest is easy! Just add the broccoli and seasoning and let it simmer.
- Here you can decide if you want to blend some of the soup to help make it creamy or not.
- Then mix in the cheese and you are done. Let the cheese melt and you are ready to serve!
This is a great soup that you can make ahead. It will last in the fridge for 4-5 days. Store in an airtight container and then reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Because there are no noodles like my Spaghetti and Meatball soup that soaks up all the broth, you can easily freeze or just refrigerate the leftovers for a few days.
Freezing – this soup freezes really well! You can freeze in individual portions to make lunches or dinners easy or freeze a large portion. Let it thaw in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or stovetop.
What Goes With Broccoli Cheese Soup
More Comforting Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Hot & Sour Soup
- Clam Chowder Soup
- Indian Lentil Soup
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar
- Melt butter in large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes until onions are soft.
- Add carrots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Mix in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in broth and half and half until smooth.
- Add broccoli, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Carefully remove about 1/2 of the soup and blend until smooth. Pour back into the pot and stir until blended. This step is optional.
- Stir in cheese and stir until it is melted. Serve immediately
Adapted from All Recipes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 511Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 107mgSodium 1034mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 5gSugar 9gProtein 22g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!