Panera Mac and Cheese Copycat Recipe – Thick and creamy homemade stovetop macaroni and cheese that tastes just like what you get at Panera! So quick and easy your family is going to want this for dinner tonight!
What do you think of when you think of comfort food? For me, it is some of those classic dishes like the Best Meatloaf or homemade macaroni and cheese. When I was a kid there were a couple staple comfort food dishes in our house and they seemed to stem around pasta. Old Fashioned Goulash was top of the list.
Today things haven’t changed too much, but Crock Pot Chili is always on the menu when you have a snow day for help warm us up. . Plus you have to have corn bread, right? These Corn Muffins are a staple with chili in our house. So I have branched out a little with my comforts.
If you have ever been to Panera, you know they are pretty popular for their macaroni and cheese. It is a staple on the kids menu, but the adults go crazy for it as well. So I had to find a way to make a copycat Panera mac and cheese.
It is done on the stove top, and is super quick and easy to do. The results are super creamy, comforting and perfect for when you just want to hide away and stay warm. Or if you are just busy and want a quick and easy dinner you know the whole family will eat!
What’s In Panera Mac and Cheese
- Pasta – you can use whatever short cut pasta that you have
- Heavy Cream
- Cheese – I think white cheddar and American cheese is best
- Seasonings – salt, pepper, and dry mustard
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Use your favorite shape of pasta. You want something short like shells, cavatappi, rotini or the classic elbows
- To get this done in about 20 minutes cook your pasta in one pan, and in the other make the sauce. They will be ready about the same time and then you just have to mix them together.
- Make it your own! My husband likes all things spicy, so he adds a little hot sauce to his. Chipotle Tabasco is his favorite.
- Shred the cheese yourself. You won’t want to use the pre-shredded cheese because it has a coating on it and will not melt nearly as smooth as the block you shred on your own.
- If you have leftovers store in the fridge. When you reheat you may need to stir in a little milk or cream to get it nice and creamy again. The pasta will absorb some of the creaminess as it sits in the fridge.
How to Make Panera Mac and Cheese
It all comes together on the stove top, so you can make it in minutes with no oven required!
- Start by boiling your water for the pasta. You can use traditional elbow noodles or small shells or whatever short cut pasta you like.
- In a saucepan you start by melting the butter and mixing in the flour. This is the start of a roux. You want to mix in the flour enough that it starts to turn golden and there are no white spots left.
- Whisk in the milk and cream until it is smooth and no longer lumpy.
- Next it is time for the cheese! We are using American and White Cheddar here. You can find American cheese at the deli where they will weigh it for you, don’t buy the fake stuff that is wrapped in plastic.
- After the cheese is all melted and smooth season your sauce with salt, pepper and dried mustard.
- Now mix in your cooked pasta until everything is nice and cheesy. That is it, super easy and oh so delicious!
Other Copycat Recipes You Will Love
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits (Red Lobster)
- Copycat Red Lobster Tartar Sauce
- Cafe Rio Pork (Cafe Rio)
- Pokey Sticks (Gumby’s Pizza)
- Idaho Nachos (Granite City Brewery)
- Pasta Milano (Macaroni Grill)
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden)
- Mexican Pizza (Taco Bell)
- 1 pound small cut pasta, (I used shells)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup American cheese
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Cook pasta according to the package directions
- Meanwhile in a saucepan melt butter and whisk in flour. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk and heavy cream.
- Slowly add cheese, stirring until smooth and completely melted. Season with dry mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add cooked pasta and mix until well combined.
- Serve immediately
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 574Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 116mgSodium 1510mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 20g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!