I hope you all had a great Valentine’s Day yesterday. Did anyone do anything extra special? My 6 year old loved his party at school, and came home with lots of cards and candy. He loved the little card I made him, and the Star Wars figure. He made us a very cute little heart that he cut out and wrote “I Love You” on. Hubby surprised me with The Bread Baker’s Apprentice, which makes this post very ironic. All in all, a pretty good Tuesday (minus the parts of dinner that failed).
Now that we are past another holiday, it is time to get back to normal food. So I bring you bread, and it is not pink or heart shaped 🙂 I love bread, especially fresh bread. When I have soup, I really want bread to go with it. A couple weeks ago when I made Corn Chowder, I tried these rolls. They were soft, and the perfect pairing for any soup. I think I might actually be getting over my fear of yeast! Hard to believe I used to shy away from trying any bread recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water, (about 110 degrees)
- 1 Tbls active dry yeast
- 2 Tbls sugar
- 2 Tbls canola oil
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups flour, (white or whole wheat)
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until foamy. In stand mixer bowl combine 2 cups of flour, salt, oil, and the yeast mixture. Add the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the sides, and forms a ball. Turn mixer on low, using the dough hook, and let mix for 5 minutes. If you don't have a stand mixer you can knead it by hand for about 5-8 minutes. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Press dough down, and form into 16 balls of dough. Roll into round balls, and place on a lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Cover and let rise for for about 40 minutes.
- Preheat over to 400 degrees. Bake rolls for 20-25 minutes. Brush with melted butter while hot, if desired.
Recipe from Mommy's Kitchen
Amount Per ServingCalories 137 Total Fat 2g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 183mg Carbohydrates 25g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 1g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 4g