Chocolate Oatmeal Banana Bread – Banana bread recipe made with yogurt (no butter or oil), oatmeal and studded with chocolate. A great use for those bananas sitting on your counter!
This week is turning out to be a little crazy. It is always hard when there is no school. And than that gets magnified when my husband has off from work too. So they were both home on Monday, which made it a little hard to get work done. Then yesterday I was looking at my son’s lunch menu in the morning and realized he has next Friday off too. I can’t figure out why they have that day off, but looks like another 4 day week ahead! He is already planning what we might do on this day off. So I guess I better make it exciting!
I think banana bread it a staple in many houses across America. You have bananas that are sitting on your counter, not getting eaten, what do you do with them? Make banana bread. I have made plenty of banana breads in my day. Whole Grain Banana Bread is one. How about Whole Wheat Coconut Banana Bread? Or my all time favorite Peanut Butter Banana Bread! So why not mix it up a little and try this Chocolate Oatmeal Banana Bread next time you need to use up those bananas. It is made with yogurt, not oil or butter to be found. Plus there are lots of oats for lots of whole grains and added protein.
Today Stonyfield Yogurt and Devine Chocolate are pairing up to make this delicious bread. I chopped up 2 Devine chocolate bars instead of using regular chocolate chips in this recipe. The results are a very moist, dense banana bread. It is not too sweet, given there is only 3/4 sugar in the whole loaf. But the little bits of chocolate throughout are perfect. You could use 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white flour in this recipe and you would make it even better for you!
- 1/2 cup vanilla Stonyfield Yogurt
- 3 large ripe bananas , approximate 1 1/4 cup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 (3.5 oz) Devine Chocolate Bars (flavor of your choice), chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper, or spray very well with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together yogurt, mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add to the yogurt mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in the oats.
- Add chocolate to the batter, reserving about 2 Tbls to sprinkle on top, stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining chocolate over the top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove and place on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
Products used in this Recipe:
**This post is sponsored by Stonyfield and Devine Chocolate.
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.