Homemade Lasagna Recipe – Looking for a classic lasagna recipe? This traditional lasagna is just like mom used to make. Comforting, delicious and full of cheesy goodness!
Lasagna is one of those classic comfort foods that everyone loves. But making it from scratch sometimes can be daunting. But it doesn’t have to be!! This is an easy lasagna recipe you don’t have to be intimated by. It does take a little bit of time, but you can do it in steps or even make ahead. Trust me, it is worth the time, everyone is going to absolutely love it!
Let’s start with the basics….
- Marinara Sauce (you can use your favorite homemade or jarred sauce)
- Italian sausage
- Lasagna noodles
- Ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
Your lasagna doesn’t have to be limited to the ingredients you see here. If you want to add spinach you can (just thaw and squeeze out the liquid, then mix in with the cheeses). If you want to make it spicy, add some red pepper flakes. If you want to make it vegetarian you can eliminate the meat and add in some veggies. You can mix up the cheeses and the meats…the possibilities are endless.
How to Cook Lasagna
- Start by browning your sausage and mixing in the marinara sauce. Let simmer while you prepare everything else
- Mix together the cheeses, egg, and Italian seasoning until it is well blended. Store in the fridge until you are ready to use.
- Next up is How to Layer Lasagna. Start by putting about 1 cup of sauce mixture into the bottom of a 13×9 inch baking dish. Top with a single layer of noodles. Then evenly spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the noodles. Top with sauce and spread evenly to cover the cheese. Then just repeat until you have 3 layers of the meat and cheese mixture.
- Cover with foil and then bake. If you want to make lasagna ahead, you can stop at this point and store in the fridge or freezer.
How Long to Cook Lasagna
Lasagna takes about an hour to cook. Start by baking lasagna covered with foil for about 45 minutes. Then you can remove the foil and top with the last bit of cheese and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly. If you want a golden crust of cheese on top you can broil for a few minutes before removing from the oven.
The key to get slices of lasagna it to let it rest for 10 minutes when it comes out of the oven. Everything sets up just a little bit and you can actually get slices out of the pan.
How to Reheat Lasagna
If you are just reheating one slice, cover with paper towel and you can use the microwave to reheat. If you are reheating the pan of lasagna, cover with foil and bake until it is heated through. This could take 30-45 minutes; it depends on how much you are heating.
If you have frozen the entire pan of lasagna, defrost it in the fridge overnight and then just follow the recipe for baking instructions. This is a great lasagna recipe to double. Bake 1 up today for your dinner party, and freeze another pan for for next month when you schedule is busy.
What to Serve with Lasagna
Other Italian Dinner Recipes
- Italian Chicken Bake
- Italian Stuffed Chicken
- Garlic Tomato Baked Chicken
- Homemade Calzones
- Pesto Cavatappi
- Olive Garden Minestrone
- 12 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 28 oz marinara sauce
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 4 cups Mozarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill a large pot of water to boil, and cook noodles according to the package direction. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Brown sausage and onions together until fully cooked. Drain any fat. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add tomato paste and stir to mix in with the sausage.
- Add marinara sauce and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together ricotta cheese, 2 cups of Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, and Italian seasoning. Mix until well combined.
- Add 1 cup of meat sauce into the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish. Spread cooked noodles over the sauce in a single layer. Layer with 1/3 of the cheese mixture and about a cup of the meat sauce. Repeat the layers ending with a layer of noodles topped with sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove foil and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for an additional 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and everything is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Amount Per ServingCalories 486Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 91mgSodium 996mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 29g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!