Air Fryer Baked Potato – make the perfect baked potatoes in the air fryer that are faster, easier, and have the best crispy skin!
I was a slow adopter to the air fryer, but now that I have had it for a few months, I am all in. There are some things it does amazingly well, like Air Fryer Tater Tots. You can make them in the oven sure, but the air fryer gets them so much more crispy in a shorter amount of time. Once you try it, you will never go back.
Getting something crispy and fast is where the air fryer excels!
As for baked potatoes, putting them in the oven is really hands off and easy, I get it. But you can get them done faster in the air fryer, and the skin gets so crispy and delicious! When I put potatoes in the oven it easily takes 60 minutes, usually closer to 75. In the air fryer they are done in 45 minutes max. If you have smaller potatoes you can get them done in 30!
I love recipes that save me time, because even if it is easy I never remember to get something started that early, so I end up not making it or we end up eating late. So this air fryer baked potato recipe is definitely a time saver.
How To Cook Baked Potatoes In Air Fryer
- The first step is to scrub your potatoes well and make sure they are clean and dry.
- Next rub them down with a little oil or cooking spray and season them generously with salt.
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer and cook for 30 minutes at 400 °.
- After 30 minutes, check the potatoes. Use a tongs to flip them over. Insert a knife to see how tender they are. Chances are they will need 10 more minutes of cooking time.
- Check the potatoes again for doneness. Insert a knife and if it inserts smoothly they are done. You can also check with a thermometer for an internal temperature of 205 °.
How Long Do I Cook A Baked Potato In The Air Fryer
This somewhat depends on the size of your potato, but for a medium sized potato it takes about 40 minutes. I like to put them in for 30 minutes, and then test to see how soft they are. I flip them, and then usually add another 10-12 minutes. But if yours are large and need more time, let them go longer!
Did you know you can actually tell if a baked potato is done by using an instant read thermometer? Yep, if it says 205°, you know that your potato is soft, fluffy, and tender on the inside.
What Is The Best Potato For Baked Potatoes
Russet potatoes are best when you want to make baked potatoes. But in a pinch Yukon Golds work as well. You really want to avoid waxy potatoes like fingerlings or New Potatoes. They don’t have nearly as much starch in them, so you don’t get the fluffy inside that you want in a baked potato.
Tips for Best Baked Potato In Air Fryer
- Make sure you potatoes are all about the same size. You want them all to be close, so that they cook evenly. If you have one that is way smaller than the rest it will be way over done by the time the rest are done.
- Don’t crowd your air fryer. Usually you can fit 4 potatoes in your basket, so they still have some space between and aren’t touching. This is important for them to cook evenly and get that nice crispy skin.
- I like to rub with olive oil, but you can use a spray if you want to cut down on the calories. If you don’t plan on eating the skin, you can even just leave the oil as well as the salt off completely.
- No need to wrap your potatoes in foil! Foil tends to lock the moisture in, so even if your make your potatoes in the oven, the foil will lock in the moisture and steam your potato more than bake it. So you lose the crispy and delicious skin. So ditch the foil.
What To Serve With Baked Potatoes
Toppings For Baked Potatoes
You really can put just about anything on a baked potato. These Loaded Baked Potatoes are a great side dish for any meal, and making them in the air fryer is perfect for busy nights. But here are a few other topping ideas:
- Sour Cream
- Cheese; cheddar, gouda, Monterey Jack etc.
- Barbecue Sauce
- Make a meal baked potato with pulled pork or taco meat or even shredded buffalo chicken.
More Delicious Potato Recipes
- Loaded Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Smashed Potatoes
- Sous Vide Mashed Potatoes
- Grilled Baked Potatoes
- Au Gratin Potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 medium Russet Potatoes, scrubbed and dry
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Rub potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with salt.
- Arrange potatoes in a single layer in air fryer basket.
- Cook at 400 ° for 30 minutes. Open air fryer, flip potatoes and check for doneness. If a knife inserted does not go in smoothly, cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Check potatoes again. If you have large potatoes you can cook for 5 more minutes until they are soft.
- Use a tongs to remove the potatoes and serve with your desired toppings.
You can also check a potatoes doneness with a thermometer. If it reads 205 ° it is done.
Amount Per ServingCalories 191Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 599mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 4gSugar 2gProtein 4g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!