Scalloped Potato Recipe – these scalloped potatoes are so creamy and delicious. Full of fresh herbs for a great side dish for even your best meal!
I am always looking for new side dish recipes to make. Loaded Twice Baked Potato Casserole is always requested for special dinners, but sometimes I like to mix it up. But side dish ideas are hard to come up with! At least they are for me.
My son will request Baked Potato Casserole any day, because he likes the cheese and the crunch. Scalloped potatoes normally don’t have cheese in them, those are technically au gratin potatoes. These have fresh herbs and nutmeg to give it that something special.
If you have a mandolin this is the time to break it out. Getting the potatoes all thinly sliced, the same thickness helps to make sure they cook evenly, and you don’t get some mushy and some still crunchy potatoes. There is just nothing like homemade scalloped potatoes. You see the box mix at the grocery store, but trust me, these are SOOO much better!
I like to use a mix of heavy cream and skim milk when I make home scalloped potatoes. This gets you all the flavor and creaminess of the heavy cream, but doesn’t give you quite as many fat and calories. My family loves Sweet Potato Casserole, but this is a great way to mix it up for the holidays.
How to Make Scalloped Potatoes
- Gently heat the cream, milk, thyme, nutmeg, garlic, salt and pepper on the stove. This will infuse all those flavors into the cream, and you won’t be biting down on a piece of garlic.
- Thinly slicing the potatoes and getting them all the same thickness is definitely the most important step.
- Use a large casserole dish and get to layering. You will have 3 layers of potatoes when you are done.
- Place little pieces of butter over the top of the potatoes. This will melt and give a nice crust and buttery flavor to the top.
- To get them browned at the end, remove the foil and turn on the broiler for about 5 minutes.
These might be the best scalloped potatoes I have ever made, and they are definitely on repeat when we have Prime Rib or other special dinners. It does make a lot, so if you aren’t serving a crowd or want a ton of leftovers, you can easily cut the recipe in half. Just bake in a smaller dish.
And if you have to add cheese to your scalloped potato recipe, I am not going to stop you! But I will say that Parmesan or Gruyere would probably be the best with this recipe. Either way your family and guests are going to love it!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg, use fresh if you have it
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 2 Tbls butter, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saucepan heat heavy cream, milk, thyme, garlic, nutmeg, salt, and pepper over medium high. Do not boil, just bring to a light simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain.
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife slice potatoes to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish. Layer about 1/3 of the potatoes into the dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over potatoes. Continue with 2 more layers.
- Place cubes of butter over the potatoes. Cover with foil and bake for 45-55 minutes until potatoes are cooked.
- Remove foil and heat under broiler for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 360 Total Fat 19g Saturated Fat 12g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 59mg Sodium 950mg Carbohydrates 41g Fiber 4g Sugar 6g Protein 8g