Baked Potatoes on the Grill – these baked potatoes on cooked on the grill, so they are a super easy side dish with anything you are grilling for dinner!
In the summer I am all about grilling as often as I can. And if I can get the side dish done on the grill as well the rest of dinner, it is a good night! Not only does the grill mean all the heat from cooking stays outside, it almost always means there is less to clean up. And these baked potatoes are no exception. Seriously put them on the grill and throw away the foil when they are done.
Grilled baked potatoes in foil are one of the easiest side dishes you can make. The skin gets crispy even while wrapped in the foil, and the potatoes get soft and tender just like when you are making them in the oven. These Loaded Baked Potatoes are one my family’s favorites, and a great use for these potatoes as well.
How to Grill Baked Potatoes
- Start by preheating your grill. You want to let it get to about 400 degrees. This usually takes about 15 minutes with the lid closed.
- Generously rub the potatoes in oil on all sides.
- Season the skin with a salt and pepper and make sure they are evenly coated.
- Wrap the potatoes in 2 layers of foil and place on a hot grill.
- Cook for about an hour, turning the potatoes every 15 minutes or so.
How Long To Grill Baked Potatoes
Baked potatoes on the grill will take about 1 hour at 400 degrees F. You can speed this up by pre-cooking them in the microwave for a few minutes and then proceeding with the recipe. That would cut the time to about 30 minutes. To know if the potatoes are done I use a towel and gently squeeze. If they are give a little and feel tender they are done You can also use a probe thermometer. Once they reach 210 degrees F they will be soft and tender and perfect for eating.
Tips for the Perfect Baked Potato
- Use similar sized potatoes. You want the potatoes to be done at the same time, and if you are using a couple really big potatoes and a couple small potatoes that won’t happen. It doesn’t really matter what size you pick, just make sure they are about the same size.
- Preheat your grill. You want to make sure it is nice and hot when you put the potatoes on. I like to heat to around 400 degrees when making potatoes, this will take about 15 minutes with the lid closed.
- If you are short on time you can pre-cook the potatoes. Microwave them for 4-5 minutes and then wrap in foil. This will cut the grilling time to about 30 minutes. You can even do this step ahead of time and have them potatoes waiting for you when it is time for dinner.
- Roll in oil and season well. You want the skin to get crispy and the way to do this is to generously rub the potatoes in oil and then season with salt and pepper. Eating the skin is good for you, so you want it to be crispy and taste good.
- Use foil. Wrap the potatoes in foil, it is best to use 2 layers of foil so that you don’t burn the potatoes or risk the foil ripping and then scorching the skin.
- Sour Cream
- Bacon Bits
- Ranch Dressing
Baked potatoes are such an easy side dish that you can top a million different ways, so the whole family is happy. They are perfect with just about any dinner! And if you are anything like me, you are thrilled by how easy the clean up is when you cook the entire meal on the grill.
What to Serve With Baked Potatoes on the Grill
Baked Potato on the Grill
Baked Potatoes on the Grill - these baked potatoes on cooked on the grill, so they are a super easy side dish with anything you are grilling for dinner!
- 4 large russet baking potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat grill to about 400 degrees F.
- Generously rub potatoes evenly with oil.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Rub into the potatoes to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Wrap each potato in 2 layers of foil.
- Place on grill and cook for about 60 minutes, turning every 15 minutes or so.
- Potatoes are done when they pierce easily with a fork and reach 210 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and discard the foil. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Amount Per Serving Calories 351Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1205mgCarbohydrates 65gFiber 7gSugar 3gProtein 8g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
- Chocolate Protein Balls - May 31, 2023
- Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats - May 30, 2023
- Bisquick Muffins - May 29, 2023
Monday 27th of July 2020
Grilled baked potatoes are my new favorite!
Beti | easyweeknightrecipes
Sunday 26th of July 2020
Such a great idea!! I am so excited to try this!
katerina @ diethood.com
Sunday 26th of July 2020
I am loving this idea!! My family would really enjoy this!
Saturday 25th of July 2020
This such a great idea! Who doesn't love potatoes as side dish?!
Friday 24th of July 2020
Yum! This looks so delicious and perfect for our family! We love baked potatoes and I'm so excited to try this!