Crock Pot Potato Soup – Creamy loaded potato soup that is made in the crock pot. Perfect comfort food for a cold winter night.
What do you do when snow hits or when the weather turns cold? Make soup. Or break out the crock pot. Crock Pot Chili is pretty much a staple when it is cold out. I mean, you need something to keep you warm right. And the best cornbread is required along side too!
Crockpot soup recipes like Ham and Bean Soup are my favorite when it is cold out. Throw something in the crockpot and come home to a warm and comforting dinner. And this potato soup is just that. So little hands on work, and you get a cozy warm bowl of soup!
This is potato soup is one of my favorites to make when I have extra potatoes to use up. That and my Twice Baked Loaded Potato Casserole. Adding bacon and cheese to anything is always a way to win over my husband and son!
Crockpot potato soup was kind of a staple growing up. I lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin when I was a kid, so winters went on forever. And this soup was perfect on cold nights. You could just add whatever toppings you wanted when it was time to eat, and then everyone was happy.
How to Make Potato Soup
The potatoes for crock pot potato soup cook in liquid in the slow cooker for few hours. Similar to if you make Garlicky Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes. Once they are soft you mix in the cheese and cream and you are ready to eat. Just top with all your favorite toppings. Bacon, more cheese, green onions, sour cream….whatever you like!
I like to use chicken stock so the potatoes get more flavor. But you could use veggie stock and skip the bacon to make this a delicious vegetarian potato soup recipe. And a pro tip – peel your potatoes. I usually like to leave the peels on in most things I make like, Oven Roasted Potatoes, but with soup they just don’t work! So peel them!
You can ever reheat on the crock pot later for another easy dinner. Or freeze the leftovers, so you have another comforting dinner waiting for you later in the winter.
Other Soup Recipes to Try
- Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Beef Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
What to Serve with your Favorite Soup
- 5 pounds russet potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 1 head roasted garlic , minced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 oz bacon , cooked and crumbled
- green onions
- cheddar cheese , shredded
- Add potatoes, onion, and garlic to the crock pot. Pour chicken stock over potatoes. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on low.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, use a potato masher to mash until your desired consistency. You can use a stick blender if you want it smooth.
- Stir in heavy cream and stir until smooth. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- When ready to serve to with cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onions.
Amount Per ServingCalories 720Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 106mgSodium 1772mgCarbohydrates 74gFiber 7gSugar 9gProtein 26g