Egg Drop Soup Recipe – a classic Chinese take out dish you can make at home in just 15 minutes. Seriously comforting, better than the restaurant version and so easy to make.
When you order take out Chinese food you often get a choice of soup with your order. My husband is partial to the hot and sour soup, but I have a soft spot for Egg Drop Soup. It is just so rich and light and delicious. And if you are lucky you might even get Wonton Soup as an option.
And now you can make this famous soup at home in seriously just 15 minutes!
What is Egg Drop Soup
Egg drop soup is a Chinese soup that is in almost every American Chinese restaurant. It is a seasoned chicken or vegetable broth that has wispy ribbons of egg throughout the soup. It is topped with finely chopped scallions and sometimes you will even see tofu in the soup.
After the broth comes to a boil you stir in raw egg that cooks as soon as it touches the broth. It is a silky smooth and delicious soup that is perfect when you are feeling under the weather, are trying to eat light or even when you want your own better than take out dinner at home! I love making it when we have Kung Pao Chicken and we can feel like it is a full on take out night with just a few minutes of work.
What’s in Egg Drop Soup
- Chicken Broth
- Ginger (fresh or ground ginger works)
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Sesame Oil
- Green Onions
Super simple ingredients make for such a great soup!
How to Make Egg Drop Soup
- Bring chicken broth, ginger, garlic powder, sesame oil, salt and pepper to a boil. You want to make sure to use a good quality chicken broth since it is such a prominent flavor in this soup. I like to use fresh ginger because I like the taste better, but if you have ground it will work just as well in this soup.
- Once the soup is boiling mix together cornstarch with a little water and add to the soup. This will thicken it slightly. This is still a pretty brothy soup, so you want just a little body to it, nothing crazy. At this point you can taste the broth to see if you need to adjust the salt and pepper.
- Next you add the beaten eggs. To do this you use a spatula and stir the soup in a continuous clockwise motion and you slowly pour in the eggs. As soon as the eggs touch the broth they will cook and form ribbons as it swirls in the broth.
- You can serve the soup immediately topped with plenty of thinly sliced green onions.
So the next time you want to get take out, think again! You can make your favorites at home and they are so much better for you and faster to make! Plus then you can adjust the taste to what you like by adding more spice, adding more veggies or even reducing the salt. So many tasty options!
What to Serve with Egg Drop Soup
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Easy Cashew Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Mongolian Beef
- Five Spice Pork Lo Mein
- General Tso’s Chicken
Other Great Soup Recipes to Try
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Wild Rice Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Easy Taco Soup
Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Egg Drop Soup Recipe - a classic Chinese take out dish you can make at home in just 15 minutes. Seriously comforting, better than the restaurant version and so easy to make.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Mix together chicken broth, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a saucepan. Heat over high heat until soup starts to simmer.
- In a small bowl mix together cornstarch and water. Add to broth mixture stirring to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes until soup start to thicken slightly. Taste the broth and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Using a spatula to stir the broth in a clockwise direction. Slowly pour in the beaten eggs, while continuing to stir to form the long ribbons.
- Serve immediately garnished with sliced green onions
You can substitute 1 tsp ground ginger for the fresh ginger
Amount Per Serving Calories 68Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 98mgSodium 1252mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 5g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
- Chicken Taco Soup - March 17, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
I never knew how easy it was to make this at home! Now that it’s January and we’re tying to be more on a budget, this definitely helps, thanks.
Kim Seghers says
I love egg drop soup. This recipe is so easy to make and tasty too. Never buying egg drop soup again!
One of my all-time favorites, this is always a MUST when I serve Chinese food!
Dorothy Reinhold says
I love making our favorite take out dishes at home. I am excited to try this!
Krissy Allori says
I love egg drop soup. This is a great recipe and you have made it very easy to follow.
I’m trying this today, I’m so excited to have a low carb soup option!
Wrestling Mom says
I made this last night. It is the second recipe of yours that I have tried now, and both turned out fantastic, and amazingly flavorful! I cannot wait for more.
Erin S says
This makes me so happy – thank you!
Jacque Hastert says
I made this last night and it was fantastic! I can’t wait to make it again and it was super easy. Now I have no excuses to order take-out!
Tiffany La Forge-Grau says
This is the best looking egg drop soup I think I have ever seen. I seriously need to go try this!
This recipe is just like what you’d get at a restaurant! So good!!