Curried Butternut Squash Soup – a light and creamy butternut sqaush soup that is full of coconut milk and curry flavor. Super quick and easy to make!
I love when squash season arrives. Roasted Butternut Squash is a great side dish with just about any meal. And turning it into a comforting soup is great for any night of the week. Soup is the best way to deal with the cold! Taco Soup combines taco night and a cozy soup in one meal. Can’t beat that!
Plus if soup is on the menu, that usually means we get to have bread! Bread and soup go perfectly together. Honey Butter Dinner Rolls are my new favorite with just about anything.
This butternut squash soup recipe is super creamy and very smooth. But there isn’t any cream in it! It has coconut milk in it, which is actually good for you. I was a little nervous, because my husband isn’t big on coconut flavor. But it works, the flavors all just blend together, and you couldn’t even tell coconut milk was in there.
I think it is pretty clear that I like curry (Chicken Curry is a staple for sure), so I was immediately drawn to this soup. It has a little heat in the background, but nothing spicy or over powering, In fact, next time I might up the curry paste a little, just to give it more of a kick.
How to make Butternut Squash Soup
- The first step is to cook the squash. You can buy the squash already peeled and diced from the store, or do this step on your own. Just bake the squash until it is soft.
- Once the squash is cooked you will saute the onions until they are soft.
- Add everything to the pan and let it simmer. It doesn’t take too long since the squash is already cooked.
- You can use a stick blender to get the soup nice and smooth.
- If you use a regular blender be careful with the hot soup, it is best to do in batches so you don’t burn yourself.
Can Butternut Squash Soup be frozen?
Yes, this curried butternut squash soup is great to freeze. Let it cool completely and then place in an air tight container. I like to freeze in individual containers so it makes for an easy lunch during the week.
You can easily make this soup vegan or vegetarian by using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. Coconut milk is vegan friendly, so it is great to make this thick and creamy vegan butternut squash soup.
More Great Soup Recipes
- Olive Garden Minestrone Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- Egg Drop Soup
- Easy Wonton Soup
- Tortilla Soup
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 4 tsp canola oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup onion, , chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock (Use Vegetable Stock to make this soup Vegan)
- 4 tsp red curry paste
- 1 1/2 Tbls fresh lime juice
- 1 (13.5 oz) can light coconut milk
- Cilantro Leaves
- Wonton Strips
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place squash on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tbls canola oil, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt. Toss to coat evenly. Bake for 35 minutes, until golden and tender.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining 1 tsp oil over medium heat. Add onion, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add roasted squash, stock, and curry paste. Mix in 1/2 tsp salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in coconut milk and lime juice.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup until smooth.
- If using a regular blender, allow the soup to cool for 10 minutes before blending. Reheat if necessary.
- Garnish with cilantro and wonton strips if desired.
Adapted from Cooking Light.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 131Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 4mgSodium 549mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 4g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!