White Chicken Enchiladas – super easy sour cream chicken enchiladas that are made with lots of creamy and tangy sour cream for a delicious white sauce. They are cheesy, full of flavor and great for dinner anytime!
Enchiladas might be one of my favorite dinners. When I was growing up my mom made ground beef enchiladas with a red sauce quite often. When I started dating my husband it was one of the first recipes she made for him, and he immediately fell in love. It might be part of the reason we kept dating!
Over the years I have experimented with different flavors of enchiladas – Pork Enchiladas, Sour Cream Enchiladas, and even Breakfast Enchiladas. These chicken enchiladas are topped with a creamy white sauce for a little bit of a twist, but they are still cheesy, delicious, and a must make for sure.
What You’ll Need
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Corn Tortillas
- Shredded Chicken
- Taco Seasoning – you can use store bought or make your own Taco Seasoning (this also cuts down on the sodium)
- Cheddar Cheese
- Green Chiles
- Cream Cheese
- Chicken Broth – you can use low or no sodium
- Sour Cream
Corn Vs Flour Tortillas Enchiladas
This is a very controversial topic. If you have visited my Facebook page and seen the video for my Sour Cream Enchiladas than you know people can get heated over this. Mexican enchiladas are made with corn tortillas. If you make them with flour people tell you that is a burrito not and enchilada. Wet Burritos for example are made with flour tortillas.
I honestly prefer corn tortillas and think they taste better and have better texture. I think flour tortillas are too heavy and dominate the flavor more than I would like. But to me, you can do what you like. If you want like flour tortillas than go for it, I am not going to call you out and tell you that you are wrong. If you like corn tortillas than go for it!
How Do You Make White Chicken Enchiladas
- Start my mixing cooked shredded chicken with a little taco seasoning. You can use rotisserie chicken for this, leftover chicken or just cook up a large chicken breast and shred it.
- The filling is the shredded chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and a can of diced green chilies. Mix all of this together until it is well combined.
- Next you roll up the enchiladas. Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the filling. You don’t want to over fill them or they will tear. Place them all seam side down in a baking dish.
- Next up is the sauce. In saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour and cook for a couple minutes, you want to stir constantly. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and bring to boil. Let it cook for a few minutes until it thickens slightly. You want to keep stirring so the sauce doesn’t burn. Then you remove the pan from the heat and stir in sour cream, chilies, salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Let the enchiladas sit for a couple minutes before serving. This makes it so much easier to serve them!
How Do You Store Leftover Enchiladas
My husband loves to take the leftovers to work the next day. So I place 2 enchiladas in an airtight container and store them in the fridge. That way he can just grab them and take them to work to reheat at lunch. Depending on how many you have left you just want to store in an airtight container in the fridge. They will last for 2-3 days. If you have a lot leftover, you can cover with foil and bake until they are warmed through.
Can You Freeze Chicken Enchiladas
Yes, these are great to freeze. I often make a double batch when I am making this recipe so I can have one pan in the freezer for an easy dinner later. After you pour the sauce over the enchiladas you want to cover them tightly with foil and place them in the freezer. The thaw just place them in the fridge overnight and then bake according to the directions. Great to make for a friend or neighbor who needs dinner or have on hand for when life gets busy.
What to Serve With Chicken Enchiladas
More Mexican Recipes to Try
- Mexican Skillet Potatoes
- Mexican Pizza
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Taco Pizza
- Mexican Rice Skillet
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 12 corn tortillas (warmed in wet paper towel)
- 2 cups shredded chicken tossed with 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 3 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with non stick spray. Set aside.
- Mix shredded chicken with 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, cream cheese and green chilies
- Once that is all mixed together you will fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the mixture and roll them up. Place them seam side down in baking dish.
- In saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, you want to stir constantly. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and bring to boil. Let it cook for a few minutes until it thickens slightly, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in sour cream, chilies, salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Let the enchiladas sit for a couple minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 596Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 21gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 136mgSodium 1014mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 28g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!