Taco Pizza – A super easy pizza recipe with all the flavors of taco night! A fun dinner the entire family will love!
We lived in Iowa for a few years and I fell in love with Happy Joe’s Taco Pizza. My family wasn’t a big fan, they claim that taco pizza isn’t really pizza. But I don’t care, I love it! It should come as no surprise, I love anything with Mexican flavors.
I am always a fan of alternative pizzas though. This Roasted Garlic White Chicken Pizza is still one of my favorite pizzas.
Today I am making my version of Happy Joes taco pizza at home! It has refried beans, taco meat, cheese and of course it is topped with lettuce, tomatoes, and crunchy tortilla chips. It doesn’t get much better!
Because this isn’t a traditional pizza you don’t have normal pizza sauce on top. Instead I mix together refried beans and taco sauce together and then spread it over your crust. The taco sauce gives it taco flavor and makes the beans thin enough to spread.
Tips for Homemade Pizza
- If you have a baking stone, this is the time to use it. It will give you the super crispy pizza crust that you are used to with restaurant pizza.
- Prebake your crust. I always bake the crust for about 8 minutes before taking it out and adding the toppings. This helps to make sure the crust is crispy and not soggy with the toppings you are adding.
- Prick the dough. Using a fork to prick the dough before you put it in the oven. This allows some of the steam to release, and it makes sure the crust doesn’t balloon up, and helps it be crispier.
- Often times you can buy crust from a pizza restaurant. If you have a local place you like, ask them if the sell the dough! It is usually really cheap, and you know it is going to be fresh and delicious.
- This No Knead Pizza Dough is super easy and just takes a few minutes to make.
This taco pizza recipe is always going to be one of my favorites. Taco pizza is a very Mid West thing, so it always takes me back to when we lived there. Good thing it is an easy homemade pizza I can make whenever cravings strike!
And if you are a huge Mexican fan like I am, don’t miss these Taco Bell Mexican Pizzas. They are a super easy and fun copycat recipe that the whole family loves.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- Pizza Dough (homemade or store bought)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 can (15 oz) refried beans
- 1/4 cup Taco Sauce
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 cup Lettuce, chopped
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 cup Doritos, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet brown ground beef, breaking apart. Mix in taco seasoning and water. Cook until water is absorbed.
- Roll dough out onto a greased baking tray. Pierce dough with a fork. Bake for about 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a bowl mix together refried beans and taco sauce. Spread over dough.
- Spread taco meat over bean mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake for 6-8 minutes until the crust is golden and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with lettuce, tomatoes, and crushed chips.
Use whatever flavored Doritos you have; Taco, Nacho Cheese, Cool Ranch etc.
Click here for - Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe