I can’t believe I am posting 2 pizza recipes in one week. I think I had 4 pizza recipes on the blog before this week. You might think I have developed a bit of a problem. Maybe I have, but are you really going to complain? Chicken Tikka Pizza is a healthy pizza. And this Roasted Veggie Pizza is pretty darn good for you as well. The way I see it, the more healthy pizzas out there, the better!
Most of the time what makes pizza unhealthy is the processed meat that goes on it, as well as large amounts of cheese. Pepperoni and sausage are both very high in fat and calories, so you put those on a pizza that is loaded with cheese, and it isn’t great for you. But if you lighten up the cheese a little, I am not talking the reduced fat stuff. Still use the real, good stuff, just use less of it. And only have the meats as an occasional treat. Now that is a pizza you can have more often.
Want to know another secret to making a better for you and better tasting pizza? Make your own sauce. Seriously, it took me 2 minutes to make the sauce for this, and it is so much better than the stuff from a can. You get to control the flavor, the sugar, and none of those preservatives are in there! I used Pomi tomatoes as part of a challenge this month. Pomi challenged me to create a recipe that incorporated eggplant and tomatoes. Hope you enjoy!
Pizza Dough (makes 2 12-inch pizzas)
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1 .25 oz pkg)
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Eggplant , roasted
- Mozzarella cheese
- To prepare the dough mix the yeast and water together. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, until foamy. In a bowl combine flour, salt, sugar. Make a well in the center. Add the water mixture, and olive oil. Stir until the dough comes together in a ball. Cover and let rise for 25 minutes.
- To prepare the pizza sauce combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll the dough, after it has risen onto a greased baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Spread pizza sauce evenly over the crust. Top with veggies, and a light layer of cheese. Return to the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and hot.
- Cut to serve
Amount Per ServingCalories 272Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 4mgSodium 762mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 6gSugar 8gProtein 9g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.