Mexican Skillet Potatoes – a quick and easy one pan Mexican recipe. Crispy potatoes, taco meat, salsa, cheese and more! So much better than just regular tacos.
Are you ready for a new week? I can’t believe it is November and Thanksgiving is almost here. Everyone is posting side dish recipes and new Thanksgiving recipes. And I am here posting another one pot meal. I am all about dinners in one pan, and they are necessary and appropriate about 360 days of the year. So I am here to stay!
We had a busy weekend with 2 Lego robotics practices and my son’s first basketball game of the season. Less than 2 weeks until their robotics competition, and they still have so much to get ready. I can’t believe it is here! Time just needs to slow down! Or 11 year olds need to get work done at meetings….that might be the helpful thing.
Mexican Rice Skillet is one of my most popular recipes, so I decided to mix it up and use potatoes instead. There is just something about little crispy potatoes. If I could eat hash browns every day, I would. And I would be happy about it. But then you add taco meat, salsa, and cheese…talk about a dinner dream come true.
You could use the store bought hash browns that are already diced if you wanted, but I went ahead and just chopped up whole potatoes for this recipe. How quickly it will cook, really depends on how small you chop your potatoes. You could always microwave them in a covered bowl before adding to the pan to speed things up. Then you are just getting them crispy when they are in the pan.
When the Mexican skillet potatoes is ready, you can choose to top it with anything you want. You could top it like a taco, like Dorito taco casserole. Or you could just add a few of your favorite toppings, like tomatoes and black olives. I like to add sour cream, because there is just something about potatoes and sour cream together My husband likes to add homemade guacamole to his!
So when you are planning your menu this week, be sure to add this Mexican Skillet Potatoes recipe to the list! Your family will love it, and it comes together quickly for those busy nights!
Want more? Check out all of the other One Pan Dinner Recipes here and here are some more you might like:
One Pan Southwestern Chicken Skillet
Italian Meatballs Soup
Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet by Spoonful of Flavor
Easy Beef Burrito Skillet by The Girl Who Ate Everything
- 3 large potatoes , cut into small pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water (or what is called for with seasoning packet)
- 2-3 Tbls vegetable oil
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- Desired Toppings
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown ground beef. Once cooked, added taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil and cook until liquid is absorbed. Remove taco meat from the pan, and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add oil to the pan, and swirl to coat. Add potatoes and cook for 20-25 minutes, until crispy and for tender.
- Pour salsa evenly over the potatoes. Top with taco meet, and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let cook for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.