Mexican Skillet Potatoes – a quick and easy one pan Mexican recipe. Crispy potatoes, taco meat, salsa, cheese and more! So much better than just regular tacos.
One pan dinners are pretty much my favorite thing. Weeks are crazy busy. They always have been, but now with a teenager, our schedules are even more crazy. So finding a dinner we can get on the table in just minutes, like One Pan Spicy Garlic Shrimp.
Mexican food is pretty much our favorite thing ever. There is just something about the flavors that I am obsessed with. It can be Chicken Tostadas or classic tacos or this Mexican Potatoes Recipe.
Mexican Rice Skillet is one of my most popular recipes, so I decided to mix it up and use potatoes instead. There is just something about little crispy potatoes. If I could eat hash browns every day, I would. And I would be happy about it. But then you add taco meat, salsa, and cheese…talk about a dinner dream come true.
You could use the store bought hash browns that are already diced if you wanted, but I went ahead and just chopped up whole potatoes for this recipe. How quickly it will cook, really depends on how small you chop your potatoes. You could always microwave them in a covered bowl before adding to the pan to speed things up. Then you are just getting them crispy when they are in the pan.
When the Mexican skillet potatoes is ready, you can choose to top it with anything you want. You could top it like a taco, like Dorito taco casserole. Or you could just add a few of your favorite toppings, like tomatoes and black olives. I like to add sour cream, because there is just something about potatoes and sour cream together My husband likes to add homemade guacamole to his!
So when you are planning your menu this week, be sure to add this Mexican Skillet Potatoes recipe to the list! Your family will love it, and it comes together quickly for those busy nights! I am also adding this Chimichanga recipe to my menu, because my family is going to go crazy for it!
How to Make Mexican Potatoes
- You can make this all in one pan, or if you want to speed things up you can cook the potatoes and the ground beef in separate pans at the same time.
- The smaller the potatoes are cut the quicker they will cook. You can cut them yourself or use the store bought hash browns. There is nothing wrong with taking a little help from the store here!
- Cook the potatoes until they are crispy and cooked through. And the ground beef you are just making taco meat. So once that is done you mix them together!
- Add salsa and mix until everything is well coated.
- Finally mix in the cheese and let it get all melty and delicious!
- Top with whatever your favorite toppings are. Sour cream, black olives, tomatoes, avocado, jalapenos …you name it, it is delicious!
These Mexican ground beef and potatoes are the perfect dinner for any night of the week. You get the delicious flavors or tacos with crispy potatoes and melty cheese that is great comfort food!
Want more? Check out all of the other One Pan Dinner Recipes here and here are some more you might like:
One Pan Southwestern Chicken Skillet
Italian Meatballs Soup
Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet by Spoonful of Flavor
Easy Beef Burrito Skillet by The Girl Who Ate Everything
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 3 large potatoes, , cut into small pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water, (or what is called for with seasoning packet)
- 2-3 Tbls vegetable oil
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, , shredded
- Desired Toppings
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown ground beef. Once cooked, added taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil and cook until liquid is absorbed. Remove taco meat from the pan, and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add oil to the pan, and swirl to coat. Add potatoes and cook for 20-25 minutes, until crispy and for tender.
- Pour salsa evenly over the potatoes. Top with taco meet, and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let cook for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 610Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 103mgSodium 1098mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 6gSugar 5gProtein 35g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.