Crockpot Mashed Potatoes – make your favorite mashed potatoes in the slow cooker! They are loaded with garlic, super creamy, decadent and the perfect side dish!
Everyone has their favorite side dishes when it comes to the holiday or even just busy weeknights. And I have to say in my family mashed potatoes are super high up on the list. And the really nice thing is there are a few ways you can make them, that are really hands-off if you have a million different things going on.
Sous Vide Mashed Potatoes are one of our favorites, because you can really do almost everything hours ahead and just have to mash the potatoes when it is time to eat. These slow cooker mashed potatoes follow that same principal.
The thing that makes these slow cooker mashed potatoes so great and easy to make is the crockpot does all the work. After you peel and dice the potatoes, you just let the heat from the crock pot cook the potatoes, melt the butter and bring it all together. Then you just mash and mix in a few of the ingredients to make them nice and creamy!
What You’ll Need
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Greek Yogurt
- Salt & Pepper
You don’t often see Greek yogurt in mashed potatoes, but it works the same as cream cheese or sour cream would. So if you have a recipe you love that uses those instead, feel free to swap it out. It just gives the potatoes a little bit of a tang and helps make them super creamy without more heavy cream and butter.
How To Make Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- Start by peeling and dicing your potatoes. You want the potatoes to be in 1 inch cubes that are all about the same size. If you cut them bigger it will just take them longer to cook.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, chicken broth, and some of the butter to the crockpot. Turn it on high and let it cook for 3-4 hours. You want the potatoes to be fork tender and ready to mash. If they aren’t quite done, just let them cook longer.
- Use a potato masher, or add the potatoes to a mixer and mash until your desired consistency.
- Mix in the rest of the butter, yogurt, and heavy creamy and stir until everything is melted and well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can keep them in the crockpot on warm until you are ready to serve, or serve them immediately.
What Are The Best Potatoes To Use
I really like to use Russet Potatoes when you are cooking them sous vide. They are high in starch and low in water, so they give you a great flavor and taste. Yukon Golds are another favorite, they mash really well and are super creamy.
Did you know you can freeze mashed potatoes? If you end up with a lot of extra mashed potatoes, or make extra on purpose for leftovers, they are really great to have in the freezer. Just let them cool completely and store in a freezer safe plastic bag. You want to get as much air out as possible, because there is a fair amount of liquid in mashed potatoes, and ice crystals will form. They will last for about a month in the freezer.
Let them thaw in the fridge and then you can reheat in the crock pot, in the oven or even on the stovetop. You may want to add just a little more cream when you reheat to help them loosen up and get nice and creamy again.
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes
- Ruth Chris Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sausage Stuffing
- Texas Roadhouse Dinner Rolls
- Loaded Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Corn Casserole
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
Crockpot Mashed Potatoes - make your favorite mashed potatoes in the slow cooker! They are loaded with garlic, super creamy, decadent and the perfect side dish!
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, (or water)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt or cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put potatoes, chicken stock, garlic, and 2 Tablespoons butter (cut into cubes) into the slow cooker. Cook for 3-4 hours on high.
- Mash or use a mixer to get your desired consistency.
- Mix in remaining butter, yogurt, heavy cream, and salt and pepper.
- Keep warm in the crockpot or serve immediately
Amount Per Serving Calories 292Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 37mgSodium 150mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 6g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Check out all of my E-books as well as branded merchandise HERE! Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!
**I developed this recipe for part of the Stonyfield Clean Plate Club. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
- Chicken Taco Soup - March 17, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking says
I love adding yogurt to my mashed potatoes! It makes them so creamy. And how awesome that this is made in a slow cooker! I need all the stove top space I can get.
Angie | Big Bear's Wife says
Garlic and Mashed Potatoes just go hand in hand!! <3 That wind sounds insane!! We have had some bad wind here but it's been during the storms that were hitting the east coast. So anyways, I LOVE these even more because they're made in the crockpot!!
Amanda | The Chunky Chef says
I LOVE cooking my potatoes in the slow cooker… it’s so much easier!! I’m actually planning on making mashed potatoes for tomorrow night’s dinner, so I’ll be trying these 😀
Jenny | Honey and Birch says
I just found out I am hosting Thanksgiving and now I think I will make this mashed potatoes to save me some space in the kitchen!
Andi @ The Weary Chef says
This mashed potatoes look awesome! Crock pot makes everything easier! Thanks for sharing!
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
I already have made plans to make my mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner next week in the slow cooker. 🙂 Love the garlic and the addition of yogurt in your version!
eat good 4 life says
Wow, this looks so easy. I might have to give this a try!
Such a perfect mashed potato recipe!! I will definitely make it again!
I love the garlic flavor! Very delicious potatoes
Mashed Potatoes are so perfect with everything! I will make this recipe!
These mashed potatoes comes out perfect every single time! So delicious!
So rich and creamy. I love setting these on before I go to work so they’re ready when I come home.