Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes – The fastest and easiest way to cook sweet potatoes! They are ready in 30 minutes and come out perfectly silky smooth every time!
Sweet potatoes are one of those vegetables that are completely under appreciated in my opinion. The weren’t something that we had when I was growing up. The closest we got were the canned yams at the holidays that had marshmallows on top.
So for year and years I thought I didn’t like sweet potatoes and avoided them at every turn. Well imagine my surprise when I tried the real thing!
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are such an easy side dish you can serve any night of the week and even deserve a place at your holiday table. They are so easy to just throw in the Instant Pot and forget about them. You don’t need to monitor them or keep checking if they are done. No peeling, no chopping. Just easy! And you can trust, they will come out silky smooth every time.
How To Serve Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
The thing I like so much about this sweet potato recipe is how versatile it is.
- You can serve them as is as soon as they come out of the Instant Pot. If you are following Whole30 or a Low Carb diet this is a very popular way to eat them. Just season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop out the centers and serve as mashed potatoes. Mix in butter, salt and pepper for a delicious side dish. Or add fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme to make them savory and delectable.
- Cut them in half make them a meal! Similar to Loaded Baked Potatoes, top them with whatever you like. Taco Toppings, Barbecue Pulled Pork, or turn them into breakfast with sausage and eggs!
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes In Instant Pot
- Start by making sure to wash and scrub your sweet potatoes very well.
- Pour water into the base of your Instant Pot, place the rack that comes with it in the bottom and then layer the potatoes on the rack.
- Close the lid, lock in place and seal the vent. Turn pressure cooker to Manual high pressure for about 30 minutes, depending on the side of your sweet potatoes (see guide below).
- Once they are done cooking, use the quick release method.
- Carefully remove the lid once it is unlocked. The potatoes will be very hot, so you can let them cool for a minute until you can handle them.
- You can serve immediately cut in half topped with butter, salt and pepper, or you can scoop out the insides and mash them.
- Use a fork or potato masher to get them nice and smooth. Top with a little butter, salt and pepper and serve!
How Long Do You Steam Sweet Potatoes In An Instant Pot
The time will depend partly on the size of your sweet potatoes. When you go to the grocery store you want to select potatoes that are close to the same size, so you don’t have some that are still raw while the others are perfectly cooked. And man, they can vary in size a ton at the store so be careful!
The measurements below are in the width of the potato. Measure that and use these times as a guide.
- Small (2 inches or less) – 15 minutes of cooking time
- Medium (2-3 inches) – 30 minutes of cooking time
- Large (3-4 inches) – 60 minutes of cooking time
How To Store Leftover Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes reheat very well, so it is great to make a big batch at the beginning of the week for meal prep all week long.
- Fridge – you can store leftover sweet potatoes in an air tight container in the fridge for about 4 days. To reheat you can put it in in a 350 degree oven until it is warm, or reheat in the microwave.
- Freeze – make sure to let them cool completely and then wrap them individually before placing in a freezer safe bag or air tight container. They will last in the freezer for 3-4 months. Let them thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
What To Serve With Sweet Potatoes
To make this recipe I used this 8 Qt Instant Pot. I have had it for years and use it in all of my recipes.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Bolognese
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
- 1 cup water
- 3-5 medium sized sweet potatoes, washed and skins left on
- Salt & Pepper
- Place 1 cup of water into the instant pot. Place the rack into the instant pot and place the potatoes onto the rack.
- Put the lid on the instant pot and seal shut. Close the pressure release valve. Set the instant pot to manual high pressure for 30 minutes (use the guide below for the time based on the size potato you are using).
- When cooking cycle is complete, quick release steam.
- Carefully open the instant pot and let the potatoes cool for a couple of minutes. The skins on the potatoes should be split.
- You can serve topped with butter at this point, or you can proceed to mashing them. If mashing, you will be able to peel the skins off and scoop out the potato.
- Place the potato into a dish and mash with a fork or masher.
- Serve immediately topped with butter, salt and pepper.
Amount Per Serving Calories 123Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 6mgSodium 120mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 4gSugar 7gProtein 2g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!