Easy sauteed mushrooms go with just about any dinner you can think of, but they’re exceptionally good for Thanksgiving. Bonus that they’re dead easy!
Side dishes are hard. I always struggle to come up with side dish ideas. That is probably why I make so many one pot skillet meals, everything is all there for you, no side dish required. One of my favorite side dishes though is mushrooms.
Especially when serving a cut of meat. Grilled steak with mushrooms… the best! Chicken with mushrooms… hello, chicken marsala is my favorite. Pork chops with mushrooms is better than pork chops with apples in my opinion!
I am kind of a sucker for all mushroom recipes though. If they are in a description on a menu, I am pretty much going to order whatever it is. And the real problem? My family doesn’t like mushrooms. Seriously, they are crazy, I know!
Sautéed Mushrooms are one of the easiest side dishes to make, and you can really flavor them however you want to. Learning how to cook mushrooms is so easy. You just use a little butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning. And they are ready in about 15 minutes. Perfect for last minute dinners or impressive enough to grace your holiday table. For some reason people think sautéed mushrooms are hard, and only reserve them for special occasions. But they aren’t!
I have been making these super easy sautéed mushrooms for years. I always make more than I need, so I can have leftovers to mix in whatever I am making the next day. You can use button mushrooms, baby bellas, shitakes… whatever is on sale or is your favorite. The same goes for your spices.
Don’t feel like chopping mushrooms? You can buy the pre-sliced mushrooms and make your life and just about any mushroom recipe you make easier. Dress up your holidays and impress your guests with one of the easiest side dishes ever! And be sure to make extra, because you can mix them in your leftover stuffing or green beans the next day.
Tips & Tricks for Sautéed Mushrooms
- Start with dry mushrooms. You want to wash them, but let them dry before you actually add them to the pan.
- A mix of butter and olive oil gives you the best results. The olive oil gets them nice is crispy and you get the flavor of the butter. You can use just 1 or the other, but I think they are best with both.
- Start with a hot pan. Mushrooms are like a sponge, you don’t want them to just sit in the oil and absorb that while they get warm. A hot pan ensures the best flavor and texture.
- Don’t touch them! You want to let them get slightly golden along the edges, and stirring often doesn’t allow this to happen. So spread in a nice single layer and let them sit.
- Season well. Mushrooms don’t have much flavor on their own, so you want to season them well.
More Easy Side Dishes
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Grilled Potato Packs
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Corn Muffins
- Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- 8 ounces Mushrooms, Thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms to the pan, spreading into a single layer. Let cook for 5 minutes before stirring.
- Stir and cook for 4-5 more minutes until the mushrooms are tender and starting to turn golden brown.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 59Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 7mgSodium 375mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 2g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!