Grilled Chicken Sandwich – this is a classic recipe your family will love. Tender and juicy grilled chicken topped with your favorite cheese and served on a bun. Top with your favorite burgers toppings for an easy lunch or dinner.
A grilled chicken sandwich is one of my go to orders at many restaurants. It can be a fast food restaurant or a sit down restaurant, if it is lunch time or I am looking for a sandwich I am always drawn to the chicken sandwich. There are a million different ways you can flavor them, but I am partial to of the more classic version. I just like it to be tender, juicy, and flavorful!
This grilled chicken sandwich recipe is super simple to make and is ready in no time. Just a few spices get put on the chicken and then you grill it until it is cooked through. It could not be more simple. The spices are basic, so you can top your sandwich with just about anything. But there is enough flavor that it can really stand on its own.
Putting a slice of cheese on at the end just makes the sandwich even better! It is not necessary, but when is cheese a bad idea? My family likes a little heat so I often use pepper jack. But cheddar, Swiss, or even provolone would all be delicious. You just want to put it on at the last second so it melts before you serve it.
How To Make A Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Start by brushing the chicken evenly with olive oil. This helps all the seasonings to stick, but it also helps get those great grill marks everyone likes.
- Mix together the spices and sprinkle them evenly over the meat. You can gently rub the spices into the chicken to make sure the stick.
- Place on a hot grill and cook for 5-6 minutes per side. How long you grill depends on how thick your chicken is. You want the chicken to reach 165 degrees F if you are using a meat thermometer.
- During the last bit of cooking top with slices of cheese if you are using and let them melt.
- Serve chicken on a bun and top with your favorite toppings!
Is A Grilled Chicken Sandwich Healthy
If you are at a restaurant, a grilled chicken sandwich is almost always the better choice over a burger or a fried chicken sandwich. When you are making them at home, you can definitely make them healthy or indulgent. The chicken alone is good for you, it is a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals as well as low in fat and calories. It is all in how you top if that will determine how healthy it is for you. Adding cheese, mayo, and avocado will up the calories for sure. But if you only use half of the bun top with lettuce, tomato, and onions then you are much better. So yes, a grilled chicken sandwich is healthy if you want it to be!
What Do You Put on a Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Veggies – I like to put on lettuce, tomato, and onions. A lot of the same things you would put on a traditional hamburger apply here.
- Spreads – you can use condiments like mayo, ranch, mustard or even mashed avocado
- Cheese – if you like cheese, add a slice when it is on the grill so it melts.
- Extras – bacon, mushrooms, sliced pineapple, peppers and a fried egg are all ways you can elevate your chicken sandwich
So if you are getting tired of burgers and want to mix up your dinner, a grilled chicken sandwich is an easy thing to make that your whole family will enjoy!
More Summer Dinner Recipes
- Grilled Hamburgers
- Fiesta Lime Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Jerk Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Bruschetta Chicken
- Grilled Turkey Tenderloin
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Grilled Chicken Sandwich - this is a classic recipe your family will love. Tender and juicy grilled chicken topped with your favorite cheese and served on a bun. Top with your favorite burgers toppings for an easy lunch or dinner.
- 4 (5 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices cheese
- Preheat grill to a medium high heat.
- Brush chicken with olive oil.
- Combine all of the spices and sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Gently rub in to make sure everything sticks.
- Place chicken on the hot grill and cook for 5-6 minutes per side. Chicken should reach 165 degrees F when it is done cooking.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of cheese during the last minute of cooking to melt.
- Remove from grill and serve on bun with your favorite toppings
Amount Per Serving Calories 315Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 53mgSodium 1014mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 20g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
- Chicken Taco Soup - March 17, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
So glad to know I’m not the only pepper jack cheese fan on this sandwich. It really adds such a nice kick to it. All my kids love to customize their own, usually American cheese but we have fun. loading on all the toppings.
Sara Welch says
This is everything a gourmet sandwich should be, and then some! Looking forward to enjoying this for dinner again tomorrow!
Jacque Hastert says
We love grilled chicken sandwiches but hardly ever make them a home! You have made this one super easy and it looks fabulous!
This sandwich is everything I need right now! I will definitely make it!
This quickly became a favorite meal at my house! So good and delicious!
I haven’t had a grilled chicken sandwich in forever!!