Best Meatloaf Recipe – this is not your mom’s meatloaf. This is moist, tender, and delicious! Great to make ahead and for those picky eaters!
Ok, let’s get one thing out of the way up front. When I was growing up, I was not a fan of meatloaf. It was something that we had every once in awhile, and I never liked it. I think I made it 1 time on my own before I was married, and hadn’t touched it again until recently.
My father in law though, he would have meatloaf probably 3 times a week and be happy. If there is meat involved, and it is hearty Mid-Western food, he is happy. I can’t really get him to eat my Chicken Tikka Masala though.
A few years ago my mother in law told me she finally found a meatloaf recipe that she liked, and that she could get her husband to eat. Now if she likes it, I am immediately intrigued. She said it was full of carrots and onion and even some cheese to keep it moist. And she used 2 different kinds of meat, so it had a ton of flavor.
Now I had to give meatloaf another try. And I am so glad that I did! This homemade meatloaf is really easy to make, and it is not at all what I remember growing up. It is super tender and really moist. It really is the best meatloaf recipe I have found, and my whole family enjoys it. Serve with mashed potatoes for a classic, stick to your ribs dinner.
How to Make Meatloaf
- It is all about making sure your meatloaf doesn’t dry out. So using milk and bread is key
- The carrots in this recipe help give it just a little texture and keep it from drying out
- I like to use a loaf pan to shape the meatloaf, but then actually make it just on a sheet tray. It helps to cook it more evenly, and the outside gets a nice texture from the glaze you put on.
- This recipe uses 2 kinds of meat; lean ground beef and ground pork. Don’t skip one, and use the lean cut of ground beef. You don’t want your meatloaf to be greasy.
How Long to Cook Meatloaf
- It will vary slightly based on if you cook it in a loaf pan or just on a baking sheet. But on average about 75-90 minutes.
- On a baking sheet you can baste with the glaze every 20 minutes, and it will be done right about 75 minutes.
- If you baking in the loaf pan it will be closer to the 90 minutes. You just want to make sure the meatloaf temperature is 160, so the meat is fully cooked.
If you have been avoiding meatloaf for all these years, because you think you don’t like it, it is time to try again! This is the recipe that converted me! Next up a classic Pot Roast!
And if you want to get this ready ahead of time, just get it to the step it is ready to go in the oven. Then you can cover it and put it in the fridge, or even freeze it until you are ready to bake. Just make sure it is fully thawed before you bake, or it will not cook evenly in the oven.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 slices bread, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbls chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl beat eggs. Add milk and bread pieces. Let sit for a few minutes until the bread absorbs all the liquid.
- Add in onion, carrot, cheese, parsley, salt, thyme and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Add beef and ground pork and mix well.
- Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap and place mixture in pan. Press down to shape meatloaf into the loaf pan.
- Turn the loaf pan over onto a foil liked baking sheet. Remove the plastic wrap.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Combine the topping ingredients and spoon over the meatloaf. Bake for 30 minutes longer until no longer pink. Baste the meatloaf with the topping after 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per ServingCalories 454 Total Fat 23g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 164mg Sodium 652mg Carbohydrates 22g Fiber 1g Sugar 13g Protein 39g