Copycat KFC Bowl – skip the takeout and make these super easy bowls at home A full meal of mashed potatoes, chicken, corn, gravy and cheese all in one!
If you have been to KFC or even watched TV you have probably seen the famous KFC Bowl advertised. It combines some of their staples into one bowl for a quick and easy meal.
Technically you only need 5 ingredients to make this at home, but I will give you some homemade options if you want to make it better for you and taste better too!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Super busy night and don’t have time to really make much? This can use store bought ingredients to assemble a quick meal the kids will love.
- Super fast to make if you are using the store bought ingredients. In the time the chicken cooks everything else is done and waiting for you.
- There are homemade alternatives for almost everything, so if you want to control the ingredients you 100% can.
What Is A KFC Bowl
You can pretty much see all the components in the pictures. But according to KFC it is “Creamy mashed potatoes, sweet corn and bite-sized chunks of crispy chicken are layered together then drizzled with home-style gravy and topped with a perfect blend of three shredded cheeses.”
What You’ll Need
- Mashed Potatoes
- Chicken Nuggets/Popcorn Chicken
- Corn Kernels
- Shredded Cheese
The easiest and fastest thing to do is uses pre-made mashed potatoes, chicken, and gravy. But here are my favorite homemade versions of those that you can use instead!
- Boneless Chicken Wings – just don’t toss in buffalo sauce and they are ideal for this recipe.
- Mashed Potatoes – you can use the Crockpot the Instant Pot or even Sous Vide to make delicious homemade potatoes for any occasion.
- Gravy – this is my favorite quick and easy homemade gravy.
How To Make Copycat KFC Bowls
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Cook your chicken, gravy and mashed potatoes according to the package directions or use the homemade versions I posted above.
- Drain the corn if using canned corn and warm through.
- Assemble the bowls by putting a layer of mashed potatoes in the bottom. Then add crispy chicken pieces, corn kernels and drizzle gravy over the top. Sprinkle with shredded cheese to serve.
Yep, it is that simple! If you are using pre-made products, it is really more of an assembly than a lot of cooking.
- You can get creative and mix it up. Use Homemade Cheesy Mashed Potatoes instead of just plain to add more flavor.
- This will work great with any chicken that you have. If you have chicken nuggets, chicken tenders, rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken etc. It doesn’t have to be fried, it can be whatever you like.
- KFC Bowls are best assembled and prepared right before serving. It isn’t something that works well as leftovers. If you have leftovers, it is best to store each component separately and reheat individually.
Yes, you can and that would be a great way to serve as a family. I would cook each component as directed and then layer in a casserole dish. Bake at 350º for about 10 minutes to melt the cheese and then serve.
That is kind of the beauty, you have everything in one bowl, so you don’t need a side dish. But a Tossed Salad would be a good way to round out the meal.
You can use the homemade version that is linked above and in the recipe card or you can use store bought. You can use a packet of gravy or the Heinze Chicken Gravy is supposed to be almost exactly like the one KFC serves.
More Easy Copycat Recipes
- Panera Mac & Cheese
- Chick Fil A Grilled Nuggets
- Mexican Pizza
- Arby’s Beef & Cheddar
- Chipotle Chicken Bowl
- Chick Fil A Nuggets
- 24 crispy chicken nuggets
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 cup gravy
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare chicken nuggets according to the package directions.
- Warm the corn on the stovetop or steam in the microwave.
- Once everything is hot prepare your bowls, by dividing the mashed potatoes evenly among 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with 6 chicken nuggets and 1/4 cup of corn. Pour gravy over the top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Best served immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 582Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 71mgSodium 1409mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 23g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!