Copycat Chick Fil A Chicken Nuggets – Make your favorite chicken nuggets at home with just a few simple ingredients. Super crispy and so easy to make!
I love making restaurant favorites at home. It is so nice to be able to not have to leave the house every time you get a craving for Panera Macaroni and Cheese. You can make it in about 15 minutes at home, so easy!
So today we are going with a classic and definite favorite of so many people. Chick Fil A Chicken Nuggets. And guess what, they are pretty darn easy to make. Plus if you are a fan of Canes Sauce they go perfectly with it.
Chick Fil A Nuggets
Chick Fil A kind of has a cult like following, people go crazy for them. They have grown and have lots of locations all over the place now, but when I was growing up, it was something you only saw if we went to Florida. There was just something about them that made them different than other places, so making them at home was a must if we wanted them!
What You Need to Make Chick Fil A Nuggets
So the ingredient list looks a little strange, but trust me they just work together. They are slightly tangy and super tender! And the peanut oil is what gives it the taste you know and love.
- Pickle Juice
- Chicken Breast
- All-Purpose Flour
- Powdered Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- Peanut Oil
How to Make Chick Fil A Chicken Nuggets
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- The key to making these nuggets is to let the chicken sit in the milk, eggs, and pickle juice mixture. This makes the chicken super tender and flavorful.
- Mix together the flour, powdered sugar, salt, pepper and paprika in a plastic bag.
- Take pieces of chicken from the liquid and shake them in the flour until they are nicely coated.
- Heat Peanut Oil in a large heavy pot until the oil is about 375 degrees F.
- Once the oil is hot; fry just a few pieces of chicken at a time. You do not want to crowd the pan or the temperature will drop, and the chicken will be soggy and not as crispy. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side until golden.
- Remove chicken from the oil and let cooked chicken drain on a paper towel for a minute before serving.
Do They Taste Like Pickles
No, they don’t. Here is the thing….does Chick Fil A actually use pickle juice. No, they don’t. But as a home cook you use ingredients that act the same. And soaking the chicken in the mixture of milk and pickle juice tenderizes the chicken and locks in the moisture. So you get super tender pieces of chicken that have the same texture as Chick Fil A. Because they also pressure fry their chicken, and a home cook can’t. So you need to play with the ingredients to get the same taste.
The trick is how long you let the chicken sit. I despise pickles, so for me I like them sit for an hour and then I take them out. This is the perfect amount of time to avoid the flavor but get the texture you want. The recipe states 1-2 hours, I am just super sensitive to the pickle taste, so 60 minutes is what I do.
Why Powdered Sugar
If you are a fan of Chick Fil A, you know that their chicken has a slight sweetness to it. That is what the powdered sugar gives you. Again, do they actually use that at the restaurant? No. But it works for when you are making them at home.
Can I Use An Air Fryer
Yes, there are lots of people who have had great success with the air fryer. Are they the same, not exactly. You aren’t deep frying, so you don’t get the flavor of the peanut oil with the chicken, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t good and worth doing! I would cook at 380º F for about 10 minutes, flipping them half way through. Make sure they are cooked all the way through.
You can also try my Chick Fil A Grilled Nuggets if you are a fan of those.
Want even more Copycat Recipes
- Granite City Idaho Nachos – waffle fries with cheese, bacon, green onions and sour cream
- Cafe Rio Pork – sweet and tender pork that is great for tacos, salads and more
- Pasta Milano – Macaroni Grill pasta recipe
- Olive Garden Minestrone – comforting, hearty and delicious!
- Pesto Cavatappi – a favorite from Noodles & Company
- Mexican Pizza – Taco Bell guilty pleasure
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 whole large egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Peanut Oil for frying
- Trim and cut the chicken into bit sized pieces. Whisk egg, pickle juice, and milk together. Place chicken in milk mixture, and cover. Let stand for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
- Place 2 inches of oil into a deep pan. Heat over medium high heat until the oil is hot (375 degrees).
- In a zip-lock bag mix together flour, powdered sugar, salt, pepper and paprika. Remove chicken from milk mixture, and place in the flour mixture. Shake to coat.
- Put about 8 nuggets into the pan, be careful not to overcrowd. Cook for about 2-3 minute on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove chicken and drain on a paper towel. You could place on a rack in a hot oven to keep them warm if you are making a lot of them.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
See notes in blog post for using an air fryer
Amount Per Serving Calories 345Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 102mgSodium 1478mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 1gSugar 9gProtein 26g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!