Instant Pot Salsa Chicken – Use the pressure cooker to make salsa chicken that is tender, juicy, and flavorful. Great for tacos, enchiladas, salads, quesadillas and more!
Chicken is probably the most used protein out there. It is cheap, easy to cook, and is used in pretty much every type of cuisine. But the thing about chicken is, it can get over cooked and dry out very quickly, especially if you are using chicken breasts. Which is why I really like using the Instant Pot to make shredded chicken, it keeps it tender and juicy every time! Plus you can just turn it on and let it go.
You all know that I love Mexican food, and this chicken is one of my favorite easy recipes to make during the week. I can make a big batch and use it in recipes and lunches for a couple of days. Plus it is ready so fast in the Instant Pot. I mean, you can easily do it in the crock pot or even the oven, but I think the pressure cooker just does a better job of keeping the chicken moist and tender.
This is one of the few times that I like to use jarred salsa and think it works the best. If I am dipping chips, I am all over this Chili’s Salsa recipe, but for this I think it is too thin and doesn’t coat the chicken nearly as well. So use whatever jarred salsa you like, and if you like things spicy feel free to use extra and hot variety or even add in a few jalapenos to the mix.
How To Make Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Start by adding the water to the bottom of the instant pot. You need this to make sure the chicken doesn’t burn to the bottom as it cooks.
- Season chicken with the taco seasoning.
- Pour over the salsa. Try to mix it around and make sure there is some under the chicken. This also helps so it doesn’t burn.
- Cover and let it cook for 12-17 minutes depending on the type of chicken you are using (fresh or frozen).
- As soon as it is done cooking, quick release the pressure and then use 2 forks to shred the chicken.
Can I use Frozen Chicken in the Instant Pot
Yes, you can use either fresh or frozen chicken in the Instant Pot. If you are starting with frozen chicken you will need to cook for 17 minutes. Fresh chicken cooks in about 12 minutes. If your frozen chicken is super thick for clumped together you will want to add 2 minutes to the cooking time. But standard frozen chicken breasts cook in 17 minutes.
Can You Freeze Salsa Chicken
Yes, you definitely can. It is great to make extra of and have in the fridge or freezer. Store it in an air tight container in the freezer for 3-4 months and then take out to use in all sorts of different recipes.
How to Use Salsa Chicken
There are so many uses from it aside from just eating it on its own. Serve with Mexican Rice and you have a great dinner. But if you want to mix it up, here are great ways to use the leftovers as well.
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Fajita Chicken Quesadillas
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Tostadas
- Crunchy Southwest Chicken Wrap
- Avocado Chicken Bites
- White Chicken Enchiladas
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Jambalaya
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
- Instant Pot Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Pork Tacos
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds chicken breasts (approximately 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup salsa
- Pour water into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add chicken and season with taco seasoning.
- Pour salsa over chicken and mix to make sure some of the salsa is under the chicken to prevent burning.
- Set Instant Pot to cook under high pressure for 12 minutes if using fresh or defrosted chicken and 17 minutes if using frozen chicken breasts.
- Quick release pressure and remove lid once it is unlocked. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken.
Amount Per Serving Calories 221Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 96mgSodium 882mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 36g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!