Fajita Chicken Quesadilla – Chicken fajitas are a classic Mexican food, turn them into an easy dinner with these chicken quesadillas!
My family loves Mexican food, that is nothing new. There are a million recipes on the blog already, but there can always be more! Chicken Tostadas are one of my go-tos for sure on busy nights. And if you can have chips and guacamole with it, then we are all on board for sure.
Mexican food doesn’t have to be complicated, I am all about an easy dinner. Mexican Skillet Potatoes is a great last minute idea using ingredients you probably already have on hand. When we don’t have dinner planned and aren’t sure what to make, often times chicken quesadillas are what we make. We always have the stuff available, and everyone can put the toppings and fillings they want.
A few weeks ago I shared with you my favorite Easy Chicken Fajitas recipe. These quesadillas are the perfect thing to do with the leftovers! Just chop up some of the chicken and veggies, place between tortillas with plenty of cheese. Couldn’t be easier! Or just make them because and eat them the day of! Serve with Mexican Rice on the side for one tasty meal.
This chicken quesadilla recipe is pretty basic and you can mix it up how ever you want! I like to add black olives and diced tomatoes to mine. My husband likes to add banana peppers to make it spicy to his. So they are super easy to customize and make your own. Serve with salsa or guacamole for dipping.
How to Make Chicken Quesadillas
I like to use flour tortillas for quesadillas. You want to use a griddle or a large skillet. If I am making them for the whole family, I break out the griddle so I can make them all at once. How big you want them totally depends on the size of tortillas you buy. You can use the big burrito tortillas and fold them in half with the filling in the middle, or use the small taco size and stack them. Whatever works for you.
For the best results you want to put cheese on the bottom tortilla then add your fillings and top with more cheese before placing the top tortilla on. This way when it melts everything sticks together and it doesn’t fall apart. Adding a little oil to the pan and brushing both sides of the tortilla with oil helps get the tortilla super crispy and golden brown as well.
If you are looking for an easy dinner a chicken quesadilla can be on the table in minutes! This fajita version uses easy chicken fajitas as the base. I use a homemade fajita seasoning recipe to season the chicken. It is super simple with just basic spices, but gives the chicken great flavor. There is just something about fajita seasoning that is so good! Slightly different that taco seasoning, but similar flavors.
Tortillas last forever in the freezer, so you can have the stuff on hand to make these almost any night of the week! And who doesn’t love all that gooey, melty cheese for dinner? So the next time you are thinking taco night, mix it up! Chicken quesadillas are super easy to make and they are always a hit.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 2 Tbls vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Fajita Seasoning Mix
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- dash of black pepper
- In a small bowl mix together the fajita seasoning mix until well blended.
- Toss chicken with the seasoning mixture until well coated.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 1Tbls oil to the pan swirling to coat. Add the chicken and vegetables to the pan.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently. Once the chicken is fully cooked remove from pan coarsely chop.
- Lay 4 flour tortillas in front of you. Spread about 1/4 cup of cheese over the top of each tortilla. Divide chicken filling among the tortillas. Top with the remaining cheese. Cover with a tortilla.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Brush tortillas with oil, place oil side down in the pan. Brush the other side with oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes until cheese is starting to melt and tortilla is golden. Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slice to serve. Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
Amount Per ServingCalories 552 Saturated Fat 19g Cholesterol 95mg Sodium 914mg Carbohydrates 34g Fiber 2g Sugar 4g Protein 31g