It is Secret Recipe Club time again! This month I was assigned This Mama Cooks. Anne-Marie has a very extensive website full of great recipes as well tips, coupons, and other deals. Anne-Marie also has a whole section of Weight Watchers recipes!
My son is a huge fan of french toast. He loves it topped with strawberries, so when I saw this, I immediately knew he would love it! One Saturday morning I made this for him. He was in heaven. My husband wasn’t sure how the strawberries and peanut butter and maple syrup would go together, but it worked. My 7 year old likes crunchy peanut butter, so that is what I used, but you could use whatever you like.
This is a very filling and somewhat decadent feeling breakfast. It comes together rather quickly (not much longer than making traditional french toast). It would be great for a weekend breakfast, or even a fun Thanksgiving breakfast.
French Toast filled with peanut butter, and topped with a strawberry maple syrup.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat griddle or non stick skillet to 350 degrees (about medium high).
- In a small sauce pan heat syrup over low heat. Add the strawberries, and mix to coat. Let sit over low heat until ready to eat.
- In a medium sized bowl beat together eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Spread out slices of bread and top each slice with 1 Tbls of peanut butter (I used crunchy). Sandwich bread together, to make 4 sandwiches.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, coating both sides. Place on the griddle, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, slice in half, and top with strawberry mixture to serve.
Adapted from This Mama Cooks