The whole blogging world seems obsessed with quinoa right now. There are so many different salads, cakes, and side dishes out there. Lots of people even eat it for breakfast, kind of like oatmeal. I have been experimenting with different salads and versions trying to find more ways to incorporate it into our diets as well. It is so good for you, and so versatile, you can’t help but want to eat it! I have had doing a “cake” on my list for awhile, so when I saw this recipe, I knew it was time.
I made this for lunch a couple weeks ago. It was the perfect light lunch in my opinion. I used regular muffins tins, but you could use a mini muffin tin and serve it as an appetizer. My husband suggested putting in some Italian sausage next time. I was actually going to try that last week, but with my parents here it just didn’t happen. The flavors would go really well together, and it would make for a great dinner option. I plan on making it very soon.
It may come as no surprise, but my 7 year old wouldn’t get even close to this. We did force him to try one bite, but he wasn’t a fan. I didn’t expect him to be, but had to give it a shot. Now, when I do the sausage version I will be giving it to him as his meal, and hoping the sausage is enough to make him eat it 🙂
Perfect for an appetizer or a light lunch. Mix in some Italian sausage and you have dinner! Quinoa and wild rice with lots of Italian seasonings make for a flavorful and healthy meal.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Marinara sauce, for dipping
- Cook the quinoa and the wild rice according to the package directions. Allow to cool slightly before mixing with the eggs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 12 cup muffin tin with a generous amount of non stick spray.
- In a large bowl combine the slightly cooled and cooked quinoa and wild rice. Mix with the rest of the ingredients (expect the marinara). Mix until everything is well combined. Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin tin. Using a spatula or the back of a spoon gently press down, and flatten out the mixture. This should fill up all 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Adapted from The Healthy Apple