Triple Chocolate Muffins – Rich, tender chocolate muffins that are secretly healthy for you! You can have your cake and eat it too!
My parents get here today! We are going to pick them up at the airport this morning, then spend some time in Denver this afternoon. Tonight we get to go out for dinner to celebrate my birthday! This is the first time my dad will be to our new town, so I am excited to show him around. He lived near Denver at one point in his life, but he never made it north to Fort Collins. Should be a fun weekend!
I might have to break out these triple chocolate muffins one morning while they are here. They are full of chocolate, and could almost double as a dessert. Fresh out of the oven the melted chocolate chips almost make it like a molten chocolate cake.
BUT, there is a big but involved. They are healthy! Shhhhh…you don’t have to tell anyone! I found this recipe over at Dashing Dish. She came up with the recipe when trying to recreate Chocolate Chunk Vitatop Muffins.
I have never had those before, so I don’t know how they compare, I just know they were delicious! I only had milk chocolate chips on hand, so that is what I used. Mini chips would be great to if you had them too!
Want more muffins? Check out the 50 Muffins that have been shared here before, all in one place.
Buttermilk Maple French Toast Muffins by Noble Pig
Cranberry Orange Rosemary Muffins by Nutmeg Nanny
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chip Muffins
Triple Chocolate Muffins - Rich, tender chocolate muffins that are secretly healthy for you! You can have your cake and eat it too!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 3/4 cup oats (quick cooking or old fashioned)
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used regular nonfat vanilla yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar substitute (like Splenda)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 12 cup muffin tin with liners or spray well.
- Using a food processor blend all ingredients together except the chocolate chips. Mix until smooth. Pour batter into a bowl, and stir in half of the chocolate chips. Place into muffin tins., filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on muffins. Return to oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes.