Thanksgiving is this week, are you ready? Are you ready for all the leftovers? Well this year the #SundaySupper team is here to help. We have about 50 recipes to help you use up those leftovers. And not just turkey sandwiches 🙂
I have had this recipe bookmarked forever! Originally it was made with chicken, but it works great for leftover turkey. It puts a whole new spin on your Thanksgiving dinner. The base of this pie is a box corn bread mix. You mix in a can of cream style corn. This would be another great opportunity to use up some leftovers. If you have any kind of corn left from your dinner, just mix that in. My family makes a creamy, cheesey corn dish for the holidays. I would use that in a heart beat instead of having to have a can of corn on hand.
This came together very quickly. In my head I thought it was going to be more work than it was. After about 10 minutes of work it was baking in the oven, and we were waiting for ooey, gooey, sauce, cheesey goodness. A little heat from the enchilada sauce, cornbread, and spiced turkey make for a great dinner. This was a hit in my house, and will be made again and again (with turkey or chicken.
Turkey Tamale Pie
Great use of leftover turkey (or chicken). Corn bread base, spiced turkey, enchilada sauce, and cheese.
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 (14 3/4 oz) can cream style corn
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbls taco seasoning
- 1 (8.5 oz) box corn muffin mix
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups turkey, , cooked and shredded
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, , shredded
- Cilantro, , garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a pie plate with non stick spray.
- In a bowl combine the corn muffin mix, egg, milk, corn, cayenne, green chiles, and 1 Tbls taco seasoning. Stir until everything is combined and moist. Pour into prepared pie plate. Bake for 20-30 minutes. The corn bread will barely be set.
- Meanwhile, toss the turkey with the remaining taco seasoning. Remove corn bread from the oven. Using a fork pierce the entire top of the corn bread. Pour enchilada sauce over the top. Spread turkey over the top of the sauce, and sprinkle with cheese. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Top with cilantro if desired.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum
Amount Per Serving Calories 263Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 100mgSodium 581mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 20g
Don’t stop there – go check out the rest of the #SundaySupper crew and their delicious Thanksgiving leftovers recipes!
I can’t believe this amazing line up.
Breakfast & Brunch
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls by Juanita’s Cocina
- Turkey Cranberry Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Sweet Potato Biscuits by Home Cooking Memories
- Turkey Enchiladas by Webicurean
- Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole by FamilyFoodie
- Turkey and Cranberry Monte Cristo by Supper for a Steal
- Thanksgiving hangover sandwich by Crispy Bits & Burt Ends
- Turkey Tamale Pie by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Pot Pie by I Run For Wine
- Turkey and Stuffing Pasty by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich by Daily Dish Recipes
- Turkey Vegetable Hash by Generation Y Foodie
- Turkey Tetrazzini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey and Andouille Gumbo for #SundaySupper by Catholic Foodie
- Red Potato Turkey Cutlets with Ginger & Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Thanksgiving Turkey Banh Mi Sandwich by 30AEats
- Leftover Turkey and Sausage Gumbo by My Catholic Kitchen
- Turkey Mornay Open-Face Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes and Beef Croquettes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Simple and easy! Turkey a la king, fit for a queen! by Midlife Road Trip
- Turkey and Mushroom Risotto by Comfy Cuisine
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Kartoffelpuffer – German Potato Pancakes by MrsMamaHen
- Skillet Turkey Reuben by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- # glutenfree Turkey Shepard’s Cake by Cooking Underwriter
- Hawaiian BBQ Turkey Flatbread Pizza by Damn Delicious
- Turkey shepards pie! by The Realistic Nutritionist
- Turkey & Cranberry Panini with Tarragon Aioli by The Messy Baker Blog
Soups, Salads, Sides & Starters
- Gluten Free Turkey and Dumplings by The Meltaways
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Shallots and Pancetta by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Curried Turkey Salad by Kimchi Mom
- Potato Patties w/ Tomato Salsa by La Cocina De Leslie
- Spicy Coconut Turkey Soup by Diabetic Foodie
- Mashed Potatoes Twice Baked by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Moroccan Chicken Salad with Rice by My Trial’s in the Kitchen
- Cranberry Barbecue Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Olive Tapenade by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Leftover Turkey Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Bread Pudding by MarocMama
Sweets & Desserts
- Cranberry Sauce Crumb Bars by girlichef
- Pumpkin Gingersnap Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Sweet Potato Spice Cake with Pecan Streusel Topping by Shockingly Delicious
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Potato Frosting by Yummy Smells
Wine Pairings for the Recipes Featured
- Wine Pairings for Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper today, November 18, 2012. In the evening we will meet at 7pm EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat.
All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat.
We’d also love to feature your recipe for Thanksgiving Leftovers on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board to share them with all of our followers, too.
- Chocolate Protein Balls - May 31, 2023
- Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats - May 30, 2023
- Bisquick Muffins - May 29, 2023
Thursday 15th of August 2013
Can you use polenta instead of cornbread mix?
Thursday 15th of August 2013
I would think if you cooked the polenta on the stove top first that would work great.
Wednesday 28th of November 2012
Looks dee-licious! Will definitely have to give this a try!
Sunday 25th of November 2012
I could have sworn I commented on this - but I guess it was all in my head. This looks amazing. I can't wait to try this. I may even have to make a chicken or turkey just for the leftovers and excuse to try new recipes!
Jeff Young - The Catholic Foodie
Saturday 24th of November 2012
Turkey Tamales... ¡Delicioso! This one is a keeper. Bookmarking it now!
Thursday 22nd of November 2012
This pie looks so delish! Great idea from leftover turkeys. Love the color of the result too!