Happy Labor Day!! I hope you have the day off, and are enjoying it with family and friends. Today I am part of a new group called Chocolate Party! Seriously? Who doesn’t want to be part of that party? Roxana from Roxana’s Home Baking came up with this idea, and this is the kick off event.
Each month we will be challenged with a different seasonal ingredient, and need to make something with that ingredient and chocolate. We will share our creations on the first Monday of the month, and there will be a link up where you can share your creations as well. The perfect seasonal ingredient for September is apples, of course. I combined apples with chocolate one other time, in these Granola Apple Slices. They were a great snack, so I knew the combination worked, I just had to figure out how.
I had it in my head that I wanted to make bread. So I set off to find the perfect apple bread recipe, and then had to incorporate chocolate. I kind of feel like I cheated by just throwing in chocolate chips. But I think the streusel on top will make up for anything. That stuff is insanely good! I may or may not have picked at more than my share of it. Don’t mind the caving in on the top, that is what happens when you don’t fully adjust for altitude 🙁
If you aren’t big on chocolate,
what is wrong with you you could substitute walnuts or pecans for the chocolate. Heck, even if you are a fan of chocolate, you could add nuts and it would be wonderful. The cinnamon and chocolate and soft apples make for a great combination. I brought this for the teachers at my son’s school, and it was a huge hit. They didn’t care that I cut it when it was still warm, and kind of a mess.
Tender and moist apple pie bread with chocolate chips, and the most glorious chocolate chip streusel. Perfect for fall.
10 minPrep Time
75 minCook Time
1 hr, 25 Total Time
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups apples, peeled and diced (I used Gala)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbls butter
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In the bowl for an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars together until well combined. Pour in the buttermilk and baking powder, mix until fully incorporated. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well. Slowly add flour, cinnamon and salt. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix the apples with a little flour (helps to make sure they don't sink to the bottom). Using a spatula, fold them into the batter. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- To make the streusel combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Using your fingers mix in the butter until it is the texture of coarse sand, it may take a couple minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips. Sprinkle over the top of the batter. Bake for 60-75 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before slicing (trust me on this)!
Adapted from Mommy's Kitchen