Have you been following the Apple a Day Party over at Baked by Rachel? I sure hope you have, because she has been having some amazing things show up all month long. I am so excited to be a part of it today. When Rachel asked me, I could not respond fast enough, and there was no hesitation over what I would make.
I grew up with these bars. They were at my Grandparents house every time we would visit in the fall. I think this is only the 2nd time I have made them on my own. And they completely took me back to being a kid. Please go over to Rachel’s. Get this recipe, and check out all of the other amazing treats her friends have shared this month!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- 4-5 apples, pealed and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons milk, (approx.)
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Grease a 12x 17 jelly roll pan.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients for the crust, except the cornflakes. Using a pastry cutter or a fork work everything together (like you would a pie crust). Once everything is combined divide the dough in half.
- Using your fingers press 1/2 of the dough into the prepared pan. It will be thin that is ok. Sprinkle the corn flakes evenly over the crust.
- In a separate bowl toss the apples, sugar and cinnamon together. Once well coated, spread the apples evenly over the crust.
- Cover the apples with the remaining crust. It can be a little sticky, so I roll out small portions and place it on top. Kind of like patchwork.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400º. Turn down to 350º F and bake for 40 more minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- For the glaze mix everything together, and adjust the amount of milk to get a thin and almost drizzle-able frosting.
- Pour over completely cooled bars.
Amount Per Serving Calories 231Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 15mgSodium 130mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 1gSugar 19gProtein 3g