Apple Brownies – Blonde brownies full of real pieces of apple and baked until golden brown. Topped with a Cinnamon Brown Sugar Frosting to make them the perfect fall treat!
As soon as fall hits, baking with apples is a must around here! It can be Apple Cider Donuts, which we make every year. Or it can be cake, muffins, cookies…whatever you like! It can even be a cocktail. Apple Cider Moscow Mule is a great drink in the fall.
The cinnamon and other spices that are often in fall desserts are what keep me coming back to apple desserts year after year. They are just so comforting and delicious.
This apple brownies recipe starts out with your basic blonde brownies recipe. Blonde brownies are one of my husband’s favorite desserts. He isn’t much of a chocolate fan, so these butterscotch blondies are more his speed.
Blondies are buttery and have a rich brown sugar flavor. Both work so well with apples, adding sliced apples to the mix seemed like a perfect idea. So easy to make and dress them up for fall! Apple Brownies just require one bowl, no mixer, so even clean up is minimal.
BEST APPLES FOR BAKING
Usually when I bake with apples, I use a mix of a couple different varieties of apples. This gives you a little more flavor and texture in your final dish. Some of my favorites are:
- Pink Lady
- Granny Smith
How to Make Apple Brownies
- You need about 3 small apples for this recipe. You want to peel, core and then thinly slice them. In the end you need about 3 cups of apple slices.
- To make the blondies mix together melted butter with brown sugar and egg until it is nice and smooth. Then mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Once everything is combined fold in the apples.
- Spread the batter into an 8 inch baking dish and bake until a tester comes out clean. This will take about 35 minutes.
- You want to remove them from the oven and let them cool completely before you add the frosting.
- To make the frosting cream together the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, powdered sugar and milk until you get a spreadable consistency. You can adjust the powered sugar and milk amounts if necessary.
- Once the bars are cool spread on the frosting, slice and enjoy!
Can we talk about the frosting for a minute? I wanted something sweet, but not just a plain vanilla. So I added brown sugar and cinnamon. It has a little spice, a deeper color, and so much flavor. I am pretty sure I will be finding lots more ways to use this frosting.
These apple brownies are loaded with frosting and those fall spices. These will quickly become a new favorite. So stock your fridge now and whip these up soon!
More Great Apple Recipes
- Apple Pie Bread
- Apple Smoothie
- Caramel Apple Pie Bars
- Hasselback Apples
- Apple Turnovers
- Apple Cider Cookies
- Apple Spice Cupcakes
- Apple Bars
- 1/2 cup butter, , melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, and an egg until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- Fold in apples.
- Pour into baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting, mix together all of the ingredients until you get the desired consistency. Adjust the powdered sugar and milk as necessary.
- Once blondies are completely cooled, frost.
Adapted from Caramel Potatoes
Amount Per Serving Calories 301Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 46mgSodium 213mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 1gSugar 35gProtein 3g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!