Apple Spice Cupcakes – Classic spice cake with apples and topped with a cinnamon brown sugar frosting. The perfect apple cupcakes for fall!
I think that fall is my favorite season. I love when the weather starts to cool down after a hot summer. Plus apple treats are are some of my favorite, so that helps as well!
Apple Cider Donuts are a must every year! There is just something about going apple picking, getting fresh cider and turning it into countless treats.
When I was growing up these Apple Bars were a must every year. My grandma used to make multiple sheet pans of them when the whole family would get together. They were always such a hit, everyone devoured them so fast!
Now I like to mix it up with all sorts of different apple desserts. The Apple Blondies are one of my favorite. There is just something about brown sugar and apples together. Which is why I love this brown sugar frosting so much on these apple cupcakes.
Why You’ll Love These Apple Cupcakes
- Fall Flavors – great use of apple and cinnamon and all the fall flavors that you know and love!
- Easy – It is a homemade recipe, but it is really easy to make using a mixer. If you can measure ingredients, you can make homemade cupcakes!
- Tasty – The spice frosting on top just makes these scream fall and are extra delicious.
What You’ll Need
Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the post for the FULL PRINTABLE recipe card.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Ground Cloves
- Ground Nutmeg
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Apple Cider – you could use apple juice as well it just won’t have quite as strong of a flavor
- Powdered Sugar
How To Make Apple Cupcakes
- Mix Dry – whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- Mix Wet – In an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Then add in the eggs and vanilla and beat until the eggs are fully incorporated.
- Combine. With your mixer on low alternate adding in the flour mixture with the apple cider until it is just combined. You want the flour streaks to just disappear, and not overmix.
- Add Apples. Next you fold in the shredded apples with a spatula.
- Bake. Fill your muffin cups and bake.
- Make Frosting. In a bowl cream together all of the ingredients for the frosting until you get a spreadable consistency. You may need to adjust the milk or sugar if your mixture is too thin or thick.
- Frost. Once the cupcakes have cooled completely top with the frosting.
You will want to store cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can also freeze them. Personally, if I am going to freeze them, I like to freeze them unfrosted. They work with freezing the frosting, I just think it loses a little moisture and makes the cupcakes a little different. But do whatever works for you!
If you have extra apple cider you can even turn it into a fun cocktail! This Apple Cider Moscow Mule is a fun drink you can enjoy while snacking on these apple cider cupcakes. Or try this Apple Cider Cocktail as well.
More Fun Fall Desserts
Apple Spice Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 whole large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 cup apples, shredded
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin or 24 cup mini muffin tin with liners.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla until well combined and the eggs are fully incorporated.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the apple cider until well combined.
- Fold in the shredded apple until evenly distributed
- Fill muffin cups and bake. For mini cupcakes bake for about 12 minutes. For full size cupcakes bake for 18-20 minutes. A tester should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile prepare the frosting. Mix together all of the ingredients until flight and fluffy. Adjust the milk and powdered sugar if necessary to get to the desired texture.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 412Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 72mgSodium 369mgCarbohydrates 63gFiber 1gSugar 45gProtein 4g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook,and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can
share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and
tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS
recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you
never miss a post!