Puppy Chow, Muddy Buddies…whatever you call it, it is a classic Holiday treat. It is easy to make and the flavors are a classic. Just melt , mix, shake, and dump. You could easily have the kids work on this one for you, or at least help. And there is a decent chance you have all of the ingredients in the house already.
You can even mix up the flavors for the seasons. Like Red Velvet Puppy Chow for Valentine’s Day. Are you looking for something for St. Patrick’s Day? Well Grasshopper Muddy Buddies fit the bill. Or what about just a twist? Do you like candy? Try Milky Way Puppy Chow!
You know I can’t get enough peanut butter and chocolate, so it should come as no surprise to you that I have adapted this classic to have MORE! I always loved the pieces that got stuck together because they had so much peanut butter and chocolate between them. Well, now I make my own, and figured all the pieces should be like that 🙂
There are all sorts of different recipes out there for different version of this; candy cane, or lemon, or white chocolate etc. But I like a classic. If you have peanut allergies in your house Sun Butter would work great in this. Or maybe some Biscoff spread if you want to go crazy.
One of the best things about making puppy chow is how quickly it is ready. You can be snacking on these little treats in about 15 minutes time. The chocolate will take a little longer to set up, but I have been known to sneak bites as soon as the powdered sugar is one. Or even licking the spoon while cleaning up. You just can’t beat peanut butter and chocolate together!
- 1 (12 oz) box Rice or Corn Chex
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 Tbls butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- In a bowl melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter together. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir and heat for 20 second intervals until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour over chex cereal, mixing to coat.
- Using a 2 gallon zip top bag (or 2 batches in a 1 gallon size), toss together powdered sugar and chocolate coated cereal.
- Once well coated, pour onto a baking sheet or wax paper to set up.
Serving Size10 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 542Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 18mgSodium 206mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 4gSugar 53gProtein 8g