Apple Coffee Cake – a deliciously moist and tender coffee cake with lots of apples baked in and topped with a cinnamon and brown sugar streusel that takes it over the top!
This post is sponsored by Imperial Sugar. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Apple treats have to be one of the best to make, because you can always find apples in the grocery store. They shine in the fall, but you can really can make Apple Bars in the middle of February and they are pretty much the same as if you make them in September.
So today I am here with an Apple Coffee Cake that is perfect all year round. It is great for brunch, makes a delicious dessert with a drizzle of caramel or ice cream, or just with a cup of coffee in the afternoon.
Click HERE to get the full recipe
What Is Coffee Cake
It seems that every time I share a coffee cake recipe on social media I get comments about how it doesn’t have coffee it in, so I need to change the name of the recipe. So let’s actually nail down why it is called coffee cake.
In the United States, coffee cake simply refers to a sweet cake that is intended to be serve WITH coffee or tea. That can be in the morning for breakfast or a snack. But it is meant to go with the coffee, it doesn’t mean there is coffee in it.
What You’ll Need
- Softened Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sour Cream
How To Make Apple Coffee Cake
Click here to get the full printable recipe.
- In an electric mixer start by creaming the butter and brown sugar together until it is nice and smooth.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until they are fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until it is blended.
- Slowly alternate adding the flour mixture with the sour cream until everything is just incorporated. You do not want to overmix or the cake can get tough.
- Fold in the chopped apples and spread into your prepared baking pan.
- Next mix together the crumb topping using your fingers or a fork to blend the mixture to be the consistency of sand.
- Spread evenly over the bake and bake for about 45 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
What Apples To Use
I like to use a blend of apples when I am baking. With something like this, I do try to avoid any super sweet apples like a honey crisp. The crumb topping and cake are rather sweet, so you don’t need much more. Granny Smith, Pink Lady, and Braeburn are usually my go-to when baking.
If you have leftovers you can cover with foil or plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 4 days. After that the apples start to get soft and the cake gets soggy.
How To Serve Apple Coffee Cake
Dessert – Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel for a delicious over the top slice of cake!
More Delicious Apple Recipes
- Apple Crisp Cheesecake
- Apple Blonde Brownies
- Caramel Apple Pie Bars
- Apple Cider Donuts
- Apple Smoothie
- Apple Turnovers
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
I am sharing this recipe over at Imperial Sugar today. Click on Apple Coffee Cake to get the FULL recipe.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!