I am happy to report that jury duty yesterday lasted about two hours. I got there to check in at 8:00, and I was home by 10:00. The case that I was going to be considered for was going to be a 2 week fraud trial. Thankfully, it was settled outside of court Sunday evening. The man is now in jail, and will be there for quite a few years. I am really glad I didn’t have to sit through a 2 week trial, but the thought of actually saying someone would have to go to jail is kind of scary. That is a lot of responsibility! I am just hoping it is going to be a long time before I get called again.
I have always been on the fence with artichoke hearts. For some reason they scare me a little. I have no idea why, because I like lots of veggies. But there is just something about them. I had tried them in dips before and was never sold. But there was always other parts of the dips that I wasn’t a fan of, so I didn’t know if it was really the artichokes or not. Well, now I think it is safe to say that I like them! And so does my 8 year old, but don’t tell him that!
I had never thought to make a pesto out of artichokes, but it is a great idea. It comes together super fast as well. Using a food processor you put in a few ingredients, pulse a few times, and you have pesto. These open faced chicken sandwiches are great for summer. You can grill the chicken, and not have to heat up your kitchen at all! The artichoke pesto keeps well in the fridge for a few days, so it is great to use for sandwiches all week.
Oh, yeah – did you enter the giveaway for a $500 gift card to amazon.com yet?
Whole grain bread topped with artichoke pesto, grilled chicken, and Parmesan cheese. Perfect for hot summer nights.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 3 (8oz) chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 oz artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbls pine nuts
- 2 Tbls light mayo
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- 3 Tbls parsley, chopped (garnish)
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise, to form 2 cutlets. Season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Coat pan with non stick spray. Add chicken, and cook for about 4 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- In a small food processor combine artichokes, 3 Tbls Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, mayo, olive oil, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Pulse until coarsely ground.
- Lightly toast slices of bread in a toaster, under a broiler, or over a grill.
- To serve spread 2 1/2 Tbls artichoke pesto on each slice of bread. Top with 3 oz of sliced chicken, sprinkle over remaining Parmesan cheese and garnish with parsley. Sprinkle with a few crushed red pepper flakes if using.
Slightly adapted from Cooking Light