On Friday I got to have a lunch date with my husband and see Gravity in 3D thanks to his company. A couple times a year they rent out a theater and the employees get to go see one of the new movies that is out. This is the first time they had extra tickets, and I was able to go too. I can’t remember the last time we saw an adult movie in the theater, so it was a fun afternoon. The only downside; they didn’t supply the popcorn. Can you go to a movie and not get popcorn? It is my favorite part!
October is here. I shared with you Pumpkin Cake Rice Krispie Treats, and brownies that used Pumpkin Spice M&M’s a couple weeks ago, but this is my first full on pumpkin recipe. I finally gave in and opened a can of pumpkin. I have 2 more in the pantry, so get ready. Don’t worry, I won’t go crazy. My husband doesn’t like pumpkin, so I don’t do too much with it. I have a couple ideas, but I will take it easy. Are you a big fan of pumpkin?
We have been making Caramel Layer Bars in my family for years. My grandma used to make them, and they have become a staple in my family. I decided to make a pumpkin version. I sent these to work with my husband, and they disappeared quickly. He came home and said they got rave reviews from people.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (14 oz) package caramels, unwrapped
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 13×9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt together caramels and evaporated milk. Heat for 45 seconds and a time.
- In the bowl for an electric mixer combing butter and brown sugar. Cream until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin puree. Mix until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Stir in flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Spread ⅔ of the batter into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips. Pour melted caramel. Drop spoonfuls of the remaining batter over the caramel.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. A tester should come out clean from dough, there will be some caramel on it.