Whole Wheat Apple Butter Muffins – Apple butter make for a very flavorful and moist muffin. Whole wheat and no added oil.
Things are finally starting to cool down and feel like spring around here. The mornings are crisp, and the perfect time to open up the windows. The sun still warms up the day, but as soon as it sets you can feel fall in the air again. Last weekend we made apple cider at home. It is a fall tradition at our house, and it has me in the mood for fall baking! Apples and pumpkin full steam ahead 🙂
I made apple butter for the first time this year. It was super easy to do in the crock pot. Since my family isn’t big on apples in their baked goods, I decided to use some apple butter instead. Concentrated apple flavor without actual chunks. Guess what, it worked! My 8 year old loved these muffins. He is a fan of just about anything that has cinnamon involved. His initial reaction “MMMMmmmmm…..Cinnamon!” He loved the apple flavor without having pieces of apple in there.
You will notice that these muffins don’t have any added oil in them either! Plus they are made with white whole wheat flour. So they are even a little bit healthy. I put a little crumble on top (oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon), but you could easily leave this off. Or mix in some butter and have it really go over the top! Apple butter muffins freeze beautifully, so you can have them on hand to pop in the microwave on busy weekday mornings.
Want more muffins? Check out the 50 Muffins that have been shared here before, all in one place.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins by Oh, Sweet Basil
Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Muffins
Raspberry Dream Muffins by Your Homebased Mom
Apple butter make for a very flavorful and moist muffin. Whole wheat and no added oil.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with liners or nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine oats, milk, apple cider, apple butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients, until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full. In a small bowl combine in the ingredients for the crumb toppings. Sprinkle evenly over muffin batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.