Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Muffins – Soft and tender low fat muffins made with buttermilk and plenty of chocolate chips.
I am late to the #ChocolateParty this month, but I am still here! How could I miss out on an excuse to make something with chocolate? This month the challenge was to pair chocolate with buttermilk.
I love baking with buttermilk, it gives a great flavor and leaves everything so tender and moist. Muffins are always a hit here, and my freezer was actually empty of them, so I decided to do a chocolate chip muffin using buttermilk.
I really like the idea of using half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour in baked goods. You get benefits from the whole wheat, but you don’t change the taste or texture of what you are making.
Another great way to make muffins a little healthier is to use yogurt in place of some of the oil. You can use Greek yogurt for even more protein if you want. A lot of people like to use applesauce instead of the oil as well. It works for sure, but if I am going to sub it out, I would rather use yogurt.
These buttermilk chocolate chip muffins might become the staple muffin in our freezer. They came together in less than 10 minutes, baked for 15, and then we were eating them. You can freeze muffins in a freezer safe bag for quick and easy weekday breakfasts, or treats in a school lunch.
My 7 year old was thrilled that I decided to make muffins before school one morning, he even asked if I could leave one out of the freezer for his after school snack that day.
Want more muffins? Check out the 50 Muffins that have been shared here before, all in one place.
Grapefruit Muffins by Wine and Glue
Banana Yogurt Bran Muffins
Double Chocolate Chobani Muffins
Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins by Comfortably Domestic
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 3 Tbls canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray, or liners.
- In a bowl whisk together sugar, buttermilk, yogurt, oil, egg, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tins about 3/4's full. Bake for 14-18 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Munchin with Munchkin