Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookie Bars – classic chocolate chip cookies baked in to bars with a gooey layer of caramel in the middle!
School has started, fall is in the air, Halloween is around the corner, the next thing you know it will be Christmas. But let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves! Cooler mornings and the leaves changing colors is a time of year to savor and enjoy! I love waking up to see the sun hitting our big tree in the back yard. The red and orange leaves glow with the early morning sun. Teacher conferences happened at school last week, I broke out the crock pot, and we have picked out our pumpkins. We are embracing all things fall. And baking cookies filled with caramel definitely seems like a fall activity to me!
Last spring I joined up with Country Crock® to make Malt Chocolate Chip Whopper Cookies. Chewy chocolate chip cookies with malt powder and Whopper candies mixed in. Today I am using the same easy Make It YoursTM recipe in a whole new way. It is the perfect cookie recipe, all you have to do is add your own mix ins!! The possibilities are pretty much endless! Today I added chocolate chunks to the dough, and then I added a layer of caramel.
What is your favorite cookie combination? With the cooler fall temperatures and more time inside, your imagination is the only thing holding you back! My 11 year old had a day off from school last week, and what did we do? Baked cookies! He has it in his head that when he doesn’t have school, we should have a treat together, and his choice is almost always cookies. I am not going to complain or try to change that! What was his combination of choice? Chocolate chips and Reese’s Pieces on top.
I don’t know why, but I associate caramel with the fall. Maybe it is because of caramel apples, I don’t know. But it was the first thing I thought of when I was going to make these cookies. And to make sure the caramel stayed inside the cookies, I made chocolate chip caramel cookie bars. I pressed half of the dough into the pan, topped with melted caramel, and then dropped the rest of the dough in pieces over the top. Gooey caramel in every bite.
- 1 cup Country Crock® Spreadable Sticks or Tub, , cold from the refrigerator
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp . baking powder
- 3/4 tsp . salt
- 1/4 tsp . baking soda
- 1 (12 oz) package chocolate chunks
- 1 (14 oz) bag caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9 inch baking dish with foil, parchment paper, or spray well with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Mix together Country Crock, sugar, brown sugar, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract until well combined. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Mix until smooth and creamy. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- In a large bowl melt caramels and evaporated milk together - place in microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Press 1/2 of the cookie dough into a 9 inch baking pan. Pour melted caramel and spread evenly over the dough. Drop balls of remaining dough over the top.
- Bake for 34-45 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Top with foil for last 15 minutes, if browning too quickly.
- Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice into squares to serve
Amount Per ServingCalories 235Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 25mgSodium 265mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 1gSugar 19gProtein 3g
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Country Crock . The opinions and text are all mine.